Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey leaking out of the bottom of the hive  (Read 5069 times)

Offline palomanegra

• New Bee
honey leaking out of the bottom of the hive
« on: February 08, 2009, 03:47:49 pm »
I went out to the hive today and noticed that there was honey oozing out of the bottom entrance and bees that were caked in the sweet stuff. I scraped it clean but it was too cold to open up the hive. This doesn't seem normal to me, and I mean it wasn't absolutely running out, it was just a layer on the entrance, but is there anyone who has experienced this?

Offline agrimm01

• New Bee
Re: honey leaking out of the bottom of the hive
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 03:55:02 pm »
I had this same issue early last week.  I thought it must be from the sugar water I was feeding because it was so clear.  There were about 20 dead bees in the mass of sticky stuff right at the edge of the door.  I wiped up the bees and sticky stuff with paper towels and all seems OK now. 

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 05:59:39 pm »
Yea I have seen it before, but not this time of year and not in your local. If it were summer I would say look for SHB, But this time of year for your case :?!
John 3:16

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:14:26 pm »
think you might have some kind of critter in there?  mice can make a mess. rats.  something reaching in through the bottom like a raccoon??

if you are feeding, temp flux can cause container to leak syrup.

soon as you can go in, you need to figure it out.  it's  not normal.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 06:54:05 pm »
I went out to the hive today and noticed that there was honey oozing out of the bottom entrance and bees that were caked in the sweet stuff. I scraped it clean but it was too cold to open up the hive. This doesn't seem normal to me, and I mean it wasn't absolutely running out, it was just a layer on the entrance, but is there anyone who has experienced this?

Did you taste the sticky stuff? I've had a few hives leach sap from the woodenware, looks like honey too. If in fact honey, something had to have gotten in and busted comb, as mentioned.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:08:06 am »
Sounds like a mouse to me.  When they tunnel looking for bees to eat and expanding for their nest they will burrow though honeycomb and the honey will drip down to the bottom board.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 07:22:50 am »
MICE....they tore up an empty lower deep full of comb at my place...I'm south of you. They (Mice) are starveing this year...rough late summer and fall..Be sure to get them out and put a critter guard on.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

anything