Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Propolis in the fall  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Propolis in the fall
« on: October 25, 2006, 08:45:56 am »
Does anyone know if the bees retain their capacity to make propolis in the fall once the leaves have fallen? I]m a little concerned that some of my hive bodies have shrunk a tiny bit near the middle of their long sides resulting in some small gaps between boxes, probably a result of the heavy rains we've had this fall. I'm curious as to whether the bees will be able to fill them as they would in the summer.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Propolis in the fall
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 03:01:49 pm »
Don't know, but a litle duct tape over the gaps couldn't hurt.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Propolis in the fall
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 10:26:40 pm »
Already resorted to that. But it's so...unsightly. Spoils the effect of my dovetailed joints.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Propolis in the fall
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 10:51:02 pm »
Potter's clay works as a caulking agent if you're concerned about beauty.  Window putty also works.  
My mentor use to use both to patch knotholes and gaps in hive bodies with out adverse effect on the bees.  I wouldn't know if the newer compounds in tubes would adversely affect the bees or not.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Propolis in the fall
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 12:30:45 am »
Quote from: Zoot
Does anyone know if the bees retain their capacity to make propolis in the fall once the leaves have fallen?

I]m a little concerned that some of my hive bodies have shrunk a tiny bit near the middle of their long sides resulting in some small gaps between boxes, probably a result of the heavy rains we've had this fall. I'm curious as to whether the bees will be able to fill them as they would in the summer.

They are not able. They have started wintering and do not work.

Tiny gaps do not hurt colony. It gives some ventilation.

Rain water goes into the hive via gaps.  If you put some plates against the wall, it will protect wall from rain.

Offline Jeff L

• House Bee
Zoot
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 12:40:44 am »
My hive bodies are warped. Probably much more than yours. Had robber problems and used duct tape for a quick fix, but it didn't stick for very long. So I just used standard clear caulking and sealed up all the cracks. It's been over a month now and hasn't seemed to affected the bees at all. It also has kept the robbers away. They just gave up as all their sneaky entrances were closed up. Good luck!

Jeff