Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starting Bee-Bee trees  (Read 1490 times)

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
Starting Bee-Bee trees
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:35:05 pm »
Found a surefire way to start Bee-Bee trees, by accident.  I received an order of seeds, sowed them in a flat, just covering the seed, watered the flat, and covered it in saran wrap. Placed in a warm location.  Monitored moisture level, and waited.  And waited, and waited.  Nothing.  About three to four months later, I forgot about them, one of my pets pulled the saran wrap off and the flat dried out.  Death Valley level of drying out.  About 5 months later I noticed them again, thought, "Well, they are probably toast, but I have noting to lose, and watered them again.  A couple of weeks later, the flat just exploded.  I have over 60 trees.

I wonder if the area of Korea they are native to has a dry season, or if maybe they trigger to a drought followed by rain?

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
Re: Starting Bee-Bee trees
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 02:53:49 pm »
Maybe the seeds weren't stratified when you got them.  Causing them not to grow but remain dormant till they were ready.
Make Mead!

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:08:11 pm »
Supposedly the person I got them from stratified them before I bought them, and I followed up doing more cold, moist stratification in the fridge.  Maybe not long enough.  I posted this more for the "don't give up" knowledge that anything.  That and that apparently a wet/dry/wet stratification process works as well or better than a warm/cold/warm one.  I had tried growing bee-bee trees the year before using the cold method, and got a grand total of two.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Wits End

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 05:50:39 pm »
I used the tea stratifying method on Robs website and got 72 out of 72. Planted some, gave lots away and still have some in pots.
Jeff and Kellie Houston
Wits End Blueberry and Bee Farm
Greenwood Mississippi

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:28:59 am »

Offline Greg

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 07:13:51 pm »
How long does it take these trees to begin flowering?

anything