Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dreadlocks and Bee hives?  (Read 9889 times)

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Dreadlocks and Bee hives?
« on: December 21, 2006, 11:42:59 pm »
I'm getting dreadlocks... (well maybe). and allot of the products I would be using are organic, made from Bee's wax, and other organic products. And I was wondering if this would be bad? Cause well I don't want to get stung just cause I like my hair a certain way!
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Dreadlocks and Bee hives?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 12:51:52 am »
Ha, now that would be a hoot and a hollar.  I don't think that the wax would attract bees, if you know what I mean. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 01:02:10 am »
What you need to do is maintain your dreads with lemongrass oil and honey. That will keep them away.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 01:03:23 am »
Brendhan, ya, right on!  Tell him to go for it.  LOL.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 05:59:50 am »
Hey mon, de dreads is cool, blow de weed over em bees, dey be all calm then mon!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 11:16:28 am »
having had dreads, you'll get rid of'em  when it gets hot. Don't know how the jamaicans stand the heat w/ dreads. Like an oven door on top of the head.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 11:20:53 am »
It has never ceased to amaze me how incredible the dread locks are.  they are a work of art and I must say that I admire anyone that has the gumption to create this work of art that befalls upon the head.  Great day. Cindi

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 02:07:00 pm »
you don't plan on looking for a job anytime soon??   8-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 04:47:30 pm »
Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was involved in college atheletics.  Long hair was the norm, but atheletes had hair length requirements.  I had long hair, but to hide it, some girls in the dorms would braid it for me and I always wore a hat to keep it hidden.  It eventually drove me crazy, impossible to keep clean, itching, and the hours getting it braided up again so the coaches wouldn't hassle me.  I guess I was making a statement by refusing to cut my hair, thought I was outsmarting the coaches, whatever.  It must have impacted my psyche, because I shaved my head and have kept it that way most of the time. Aside from the occasional comment about resembling a serial killer, it was and has been much more comfortable.  Comb it with a towel, off and running.  bahahahaha

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 07:11:17 pm »
I think braided hair looks beautiful

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 07:18:18 pm »
Braided is one thing, Dreadlocks is a whole other critter.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 07:40:30 pm »
Same problem though.  Keeping it clean.  People make statements with their hair, sometimes it is suprising.  There is a kid we hired that has a long pony tail, and his head is shaved on the sides.  He came in the other day to pick up his check, on his way to a party.  I don't know how many lbs of axle grease or whatever he used, but the pony tail had become a mohawk style doo, and he had some kind of makeup on his face.  The mohawk was about 20 inches tall!!!!  I didn't know who the heck it was, so I made him produce ID before I would give him his pay!!  He was very insulted.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 08:18:14 pm »
having had dreads, you'll get rid of'em  when it gets hot. Don't know how the jamaicans stand the heat w/ dreads. Like an oven door on top of the head.

but Boss, is our hair and our heat it how it mus affec we? Just a likke patwah(patois)

Offline organicgrl37

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 11:19:33 pm »
I say go for it. I have been thinking about dredds myself for awhile. My sister has dredds that reach past her waste. She has never had trouble with being employed and just recently has accepted a position as a partner in a established Massotherapy Office. The funny thing about that is it is on the campus of a conservative catholic college that has an abbey onit. She has many clients from the general public as well as nuns from the school, and the retirement center on the grounds too.

My sister has also helped me harvest honey and had very little trouble with bees being attracted to the wax in her hair. I will have to look around a bit but I think I still have a photo of her feeding the hives without her bee suit on her dredds hanging and no stings!!

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 02:07:46 am »

but Boss, is our hair and our heat it how it mus affec we? Just a likke patwah(patois)

Anyone wanna help me out here?  Authentic!
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 08:32:33 pm »
patios is the language/dialect commonly used in jamaica. It has roots in french, spanish english and african. 

"but Boss, is our hair and our heat it how it mus affec we? Just a likke patwah(patois)"

Translation "but sir/mr it is our hair and our heat, how must it affect us"

Andersmnelson not sure if that was what you wanted the translation of.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 09:14:14 am »
Hee haw!!!  Great day. Cindi

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 01:02:21 pm »
Just apply a little banana oil to those dreads. That should do it.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 10:31:25 pm »
Just apply a little banana oil to those dreads. That should do it.

Be careful if you visit the Zoo.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 11:33:52 am »
Sean- if i understand, you are less affected by the heat because your acclimated? Personally, I loved having the long hair and eventually dreds, but couldn't handle the summers. One day i just walked into a barber and went for a #2 razor cut. Almost three feet of hair/dreds to the floor. People were watching me get this cut like it was a spectacle. For years I wore it short. Just this fall, decided to go long again. Its now about short shoulder length. In the back of my head, I know i will cut it the first 95 deg day.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 11:39:44 am »
Konasdad,
It must have taken you years and years to grow your hair that long, and a #2 cut is pretty darn short.  You must have had a huge chill on the top of your head, what a contrast.

I love the dreadlocks, when I see them (which is rare that people wear it like that here), I cannot stop staring.  One time I asked this young guy if he minded if I really took a close look.  He was proud of his dreads and told me to look as long as I wanted.  What I could not get over was the feel of the hair, it reminded me of lamb's wool.  I love the feel of the wool while it is still on the sheep, by the way, I love to sink my fingers deep into the wool, it feels so nice with the natural oils present within it.  Oops, off topic.  I tend to go on.

Keep on with the dreads if you can stand the heat.  Great day. Cindi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 12:10:09 pm »
Actually Cindi, my hair grows like grass. About 2-3 inch /month in summer, and 1in in winter/mnth. The first thing I noticed w/ really short hair was the sweat dripped immediately into my eyes, and i needed about a rain drops worth of shampoo. I had a #2 cut in early sept, and my hair is about 8-10 inches since then. I have noticed that now that I'm in my 40's, it has slowed down(like everything else). I expect that by summer, I will be able to have a ponytail if I chose. I'll never go back to dreds though. Just doesn't go w/ my suit and tie, even if I wear my Jerry Garcia ties!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »
Sean- if i understand, you are less affected by the heat because your acclimated? Personally, I loved having the long hair and eventually dreds, but couldn't handle the summers. One day i just walked into a barber and went for a #2 razor cut. Almost three feet of hair/dreds to the floor. People were watching me get this cut like it was a spectacle. For years I wore it short. Just this fall, decided to go long again. Its now about short shoulder length. In the back of my head, I know i will cut it the first 95 deg day.

I would think so, but  the climate is changing and as such the summers are getting hotter. That said i must say that i only hear the ladies complain about the heat and their long hair, not the rastas (rastafarians-true followers of the religion). But you do find the ladies cutting their hair because of the heat, how often they have to go to the hairdresser, the length of time for processing etc. They cut all off and voila! no hairdresser, no setters, no hairdryer, just wash, rinse and you're good to go

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 06:12:26 pm »
ok so one good responce, love offtopic thread!

SPAMMERS!

jk, thanks for the responses, Im hoping to get dreads still its looking brighter and brighter to the day ill be able to get them. Yes I plan on getting a job theirs plenty of towns near by with a high hippy population that know the work it takes to get dreads in the first place. But I have to be able to pass this geometry mid term first!!!! Ill post pictures my hair right now is probably 7-8 inches if not longer...  :-D Its either dreads or a mow hawk!  :-P
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 01:43:14 pm »
ok so one good responce, love offtopic thread!

SPAMMERS!

Go ahead report this thread. I am sure we can send off to some middle managers desk where it will sit and collect dust.  :evil:

As a person with long hair myself. I have to admit this has been fun to read.

Gottabee owes me a new keyboard because I laughed so hard I split soda on it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 02:59:31 am »
patios is the language/dialect commonly used in jamaica. It has roots in french, spanish english and african. 

"but Boss, is our hair and our heat it how it mus affec we? Just a likke patwah(patois)"

Translation "but sir/mr it is our hair and our heat, how must it affect us"

Andersmnelson not sure if that was what you wanted the translation of.

Gotcha, thanks.
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline organicgrl37

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 11:55:47 pm »
Here are some photos of my sister's dredds. If I recall correctly she has had them for 5yrs. That is 5 summers of northeast ohio humidity and heat.
She still loves them, has a full-time job, works part-time too. Is a very highly respected LMT, and has no plans of cutting her dredds off. 8-) :mrgreen:

my sister and her main man

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2007, 02:01:17 am »
organicgrl37.  You have a very, very beautiful sister.  Her hair is something beyond beautiful as well.  You must tell her that I am very impressed and admire her long locks of dreads and her beauty that shines through, she is beauty inside and outside, she emits this form of person.  Great day.  Cindi