Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brood above the honey super/s  (Read 2949 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Brood above the honey super/s
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:14:57 am »
Hi Everybody,

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried brood above a honey super?

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
Re: Brood above the honey super/s
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 09:33:11 am »
:-\ No not I but also have been running the thought thru my mind but figure her highness would start laying in the low super after the honey frames have been harvested,especially from the centre
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:24:27 pm »
:-\ No not I but also have been running the thought thru my mind but figure her highness would start laying in the low super after the honey frames have been harvested,especially from the centre

That's where a queen excluder to keep her in the upper reaches would be handy!

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:06:38 pm »
Why would you even want to do that?

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 04:31:11 am »
Why would you even want to do that?

Prevent chilling the brood? I dunno - it was just a thought

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 04:47:43 am »
Well just bare in mind,there's no experience better than personal experience-U may never know unless u try.Hey it's not like it's anything unsafe either-maybe it hasn't worked well for others and turns out to be the best option for u so....... :cheer:
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:16:56 pm »
You can have the bees raise and mate a queen if you move eggs with brood and stores up above the supers on a production hive. The use of a queen excluder is recommended. G. M. Doolittle experimented along these lines a century ago and published his findings in A good read: Scientific Queen-Rearing as Practically Applied by G.M.Doolittle. Chapters XIII and XXIV ar the ones where he talks about his experimenting in this area.  The book can be downloaded in PDF format here... http://books.google.com/books?as_q=scientific+as+practically+applied&num=10&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=queen-rearing&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_brr=1&as_pt=BOOKS&lr=&as_vt=&as_auth=&as_pub=&as_sub=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&as_isbn=&as_issn=

If you get a double box hive that is strong, you can split the hive by adding a super of foundation in between the two boxes.  Make the top box over the super be eggs and young larva with frames of nectar and pollen. The bees will then draw you out queen cells in the top box of eggs, especially if you put a queen excluder under the top box. 10 days after doing this, move the top box off to it's own stand, or take it off and make up nucs from it.