Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Warning for beekeepers  (Read 4867 times)

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
Warning for beekeepers
« on: July 24, 2009, 12:18:32 pm »
Please don't do the stupid mistake I made yesterday. I traveled several hundred miles to get new queens to make splits with my own hives.Had the queen cages in a cardboard box, my first though was to bring into house but then it may get too cool w/ A/C . I have a screened in porch so I'll just set them on the table until I get up.Well when I got up this morning Ant's were after the candy in the process they killed my queens and  attentants and all .I am so upset with my self for making such a judgement call. It's not the money or time involved .I lost 6 well looking queens with a little mistake like this ,I am so mad at myself .   :'(

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Warning for beekeepers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 12:22:34 pm »
Jimmy, I am so sorry that happened, I know how frustrated and disappointed you must be right now.
Don't beat yourself up though, your thought process was good and keeping them out of the ac makes sense.
I honestly would not have thought of the ants and the candy myself.
You were trying to do the right thing.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 10:47:55 am »
Oh Jimmy, that is just horrible.  As Natalie said, don't beat yourself up though.  I think that this would be a very valuable lesson that you have imparted to all your forum friends.  Who would have ever thunk that this might happen?  I know that I surely would not have.  I have learned a lesson from you that I probably would have learned the hard way myself.  Take care.  There will be more queens, it is just an expensive lesson to learn.  That was a very long drive to get these gals, sorry to hear of the loss.  Have a wonderful day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:04:07 am »
Jimmy, sorry again about the mishap. I will be in touch very soon.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 12:38:58 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind words.While I am not over the hurt feeling for the girls ,I am in the beginning stages of acceptance . In the 3 years I have been studying and playing with bees this has been devastating . 5 years ago if you would have told me I would be disheartened over something like this ,I would have said you are CRAZY. Now I know. jimmy

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 05:43:21 pm »
I just received my new queen today and have her in the utility room.  Will be installing her tomorrow.

Should I put her in the garage?  It is over 90 out there.  I could put in in a bowl set in another bowl of water to keep the ants out.

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 06:37:04 pm »
Thats seems like a good idea. Wish I had been that inteliegent.

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 06:48:41 pm »
Well, I would never have thought about it if you hadn't been kind enough to post your experience so it wouldn't happen to someone else!

I have never re-queened and have my new queen sitting on my utility room shelf and saw your thread - talk about good timing.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 10:55:53 pm »
The advice I've heard is to keep the queen in a dark cool closet, brushing on water a couple times a day.  They can keep warm enough at room temps.  Hopefully your a/c isn't colder than 70  :roll:

Rick
Rick

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 11:13:10 pm »
Ok, I brought her back in from the garage then.  Colder than 70???  I would have to go get a loan to pay my electric bill  :shock:

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 12:18:25 am »
When I buy queens I store them on the shelf in my bedroom closet.  They're close a hand and I remember to give them water if the weather won't let me install them right away.  Never have had ants problems with putting them there.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Dvash

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 10:36:30 am »
How long can you store a queen indoors? How long can you store a queen cell and what conditions do you need for storing the queens and queen cells.?

Thanks,

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 06:24:14 pm »
I hate that for ya.. I did somting almost as bad.  Got in after 11:00 PM from driving to pick up fresh queens.  We were having our first cold snap but I didnt want to turn on the heat in the house yet so I opted for keeping them overnite on the top shelf of the computer desk as the puter puts out just about the right amout of heat. So I lay down a nice hand towel and spread them out for the nite.  The next AM I was in my chair putting on my boots and I hear the cat running around playing with somthing, picing it up and dropping it on the hardwood floor batting it arroundand chasing it.... :shock:...luckly those new style queen cages are tough.... after a frantic search oll were found and in good health. Whew!  next time I will make sure the office door is closed and latched!
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 06:24:59 pm »
At room temps with a drop of water a day you can keep them for a week or two.  If the attendants start dying it's time to replace the attendants.  If you replace the attendants every couple of weeks and give them water and they have candy, you can keep them indefinitely.  Provided, of course, you keep them away from the ants...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 07:37:56 pm »
Bummer!! That is worse than opening up the cage and seeing your new queen fly away never to return.

Thanks for sharing, I feel your pain.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan