Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Poison mixture  (Read 3344 times)

Offline papabear

• House Bee
Poison mixture
« on: May 09, 2007, 05:46:40 pm »
I was told to mix 1% in volume of malathyon and spray on bottom board to get rid of SHB. How do mix this. I'm confused
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Re: Poison mixture
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 06:22:25 pm »
In my humble opinion...malathion is bad news all the ways around..I feel there are some great folks here who can tel you how to take care of SHB without using malathion...

Best Wishes~*~

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 06:28:03 pm »
Papabear,

I found this, a post by Linda...she has a fantastic blog...check it out!

I've now heard from both Mel and Sonny, the two inventors of this SHB trap.  They say I can use the lure immediately but best if it ages in the sun for a day tomorrow.  They put the trap on the top of the hive and enclose it in a shim made with a 1X2 board - I assume that is a box made with a one by two - the size of a super. 

Although I only have a hand saw, I'll bet I can saw through a 1x2 and nail it into a box to do this...can't be much different than nailing together the many supers I have now hammered together.  I tell you, if I keep on beekeeping, I'll get good at construction yet!

I posted the beginning of this process on my blog (making the lure)
http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2007/04/full-on-attack-against-small-hive.html

I'll keep on posting there, so if you are interested in fighting the SHB, keep watching and I'll let you know how it goes.

Linda T waging SHB war in Atlanta

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 08:36:32 pm »
Do not put malathion anywhere near a hive. If even a little remains and gets in the honey it will be very bad. Malathion is oil based and does not just evaporate, it lingers for a long time. It will ruin your honey and your hive. There are other chemicals you can use if you want to, malathion isn't one of them.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 08:49:46 pm »
Important information here, Follow the label instructions for all chemicals.  Failure to use them acording to lable instructions is a violation of federal law and can be prosecuted.  Just ask the Addee family.  They got caught and are paying a fine.  A strong hive placed in full sun is a good way to keep their numbers down.  I actually see some propolized on the top of frames from time to time.  Good luck those bugs are a pain in the neck, I know first hand.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:02:05 pm »
>I was told to mix 1% in volume of malathyon and spray on bottom board to get rid of SHB. How do mix this. I'm confused

I've lost whole hives to Malathion when they would fog for mosquitoes during the daytime.  I would not let any anywhere NEAR my hive, let alone spray any part of the hive with it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:13:32 am »
I was told to mix 1% in volume of malathyon and spray on bottom board to get rid of SHB. How do mix this. I'm confused

Who ever told you that needs to be taken out back and tickled with a feather till he/she pukes
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 09:52:57 am »
Wow, that sounds a lot like spraying the hive with sheep dip to kill mites.....

If it kills the beetles from contact, it will probably affect the bees.  I could understand that on the tray of screened bottom board (no I wouldn't use it, there are better ways) but not on a solid bottom board.

If you have a Screened bottom board you could put diatomatious earth on the tray for a safer alternative.

Rick
Rick

Offline Mel

• Brood
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 09:45:08 pm »
Sounds like some of the Big unscrupulous bee owners POISONING  Honey. (CCD)???
Good honest Beekeepers should let their voices be heard. Would you let your Grand kids eat honey
from a hive that you knew had been treated with (ILLEGAL CHEMICALS)??

Mel  :'(