Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: stickey footed bees.  (Read 1508 times)

salvo

stickey footed bees.
« on: October 12, 2013, 01:46:06 pm »
Hi Folks,

Southeast Massachusetts. Five hives winding down. No varroa tratment. One hive, one deep & two meds, Carni, bottom entrance partially closed, had a big bee die off a couple of weeks ago. Plenty of bees still left. Queen still has a small amount of brood in lower medium, of two. The lower deep was clean and empty, and in good condition. No damage. I took it off. Very little stores, like it was taken out. A few SHB, but coralled by bees. I killed them. Comb appears "normal". No SHB slime.

I gave them a upper entrance mid week. They use it. There is a crescent patch where they walk that is stickey and clumpy, like debis/pollen/junk from inside is getting "tracked" onto the face of the hive.

In three years I have only seen clean, clean landing spots. This is only happenning on one of five hives in the yard.

No "K wings".

What could be going on?

Salvo

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
Re: stickey footed bees.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 05:57:01 pm »
 Propolis maybe? If they're tracking it to the face of the box, then anyrhing their bringing out will get stuck to that.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 10:11:25 pm »
Mine are doing it to. It didn't start until the golden rod exploded around here so I figured that was the cause.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 07:51:16 am »
Visible footprints at entrances can indicate robbing activity.  It may be worthwhile to check it out more closely.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

salvo

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 04:47:00 pm »
Thank you T Beek.

Robbing! Queen gone. Hive virtually empty.

Great comb to start new package next year. :-\

Sad to see it gone so thoroughly. No obvious fighting. Only what appeared to be orientation???!!!

I have an unexpectedly strong and populated hive of Italians about ten feet away. Two full deeps and a medium that was only a "wet" that they filled since end of August.

I'm taking that medium today, to pay for the package next spring. VENDETTA!

Salvo

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 06:25:25 pm »
Hmmm... guess they were more sticky-fingered than sticky footed...;)  Sorry to joke about such a thing, but I'll be watching for that sign from now on..