Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New dado blade  (Read 3711 times)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
New dado blade
« on: November 26, 2009, 09:51:25 am »
I'm building most of my beekeeping equipment this winter and need a new stacked dado blade under $200. I've looked at the Freud SD208 $88 and the Freud 508 $199. Would like to know if anyone is using these and how good a cut you are getting with them? I seem to get alot of tear out on my finger joints with the cheap pos I'm using now. I'm open to other brands and need some feedback to make buying decision.

bigbearomaha

Re: New dado blade
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:32:00 am »
There is a stacked dado at menards, around my area it runs for like $90.00.  It does a pretty good job for the money. I haven't had any trouble with it yet and it is just over a year old.  it's downstairs right now and I'll be doggoned if  I remember the brand.  I'll post back with it, but  I think it's the only one our local Menards is carrying right now.

Big Bear

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 12:06:21 pm »
I use two of the Freud dados ($90.00 ea) so I can still whack wood while one is being sharpened. At max width they make very nice, wide handholds.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 12:08:28 pm »
I use two of the Freud dados ($90.00 ea) so I can still whack wood while one is being sharpened. At max width they make very nice, wide handholds.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 01:11:49 pm »
The one Freud SD208 $88 is at Menards. Only one they sell. Sounds like it may be the one to try out. Just looking for some feedback from beeks that are using one. Most cheap tools in woodworking give crappy results

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 12:40:16 pm »
I have a Freud DD208, probably same set as SD208. Don't know the model number on the other set but it's a chrome plated set and makes smoother cuts. I don't do finger joints because of the time factor. I'm usually cutting 50-100 boxes at a session and have always used rabbitted joints. The Freud dados have worked well for me but I have them sharpened frequently.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 09:25:09 pm »
So, I went to Menards and purchased the Freud SD208 and will report back on what kind of performance I get with it. Just hope I don't put an eye out.
With the cold weather setting in I will have plenty of time to fool around in the workshop.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 10:21:57 pm »
I use an old sears stacked dado, probably 45 to 50 yeas old and does a good job for me. They are not carbide and I can touch them up a little with a file, I don't use them much. Have an old rockwell wobble dado and does not really leave a good cut.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!