Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: orphaned bees; should I adopt?  (Read 2789 times)

Offline phill

• House Bee
orphaned bees; should I adopt?
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:07:15 am »
A neighbor who runs an orchard learned that I kept bees, and had lots of questions for me. Here's one:

Every year a commercial beekeeper brings in a whole lot of hives to pollinate this fellow's trees. Then one day the guy comes and removes the hives, leaving thousands of foraging bees behind to die. My neighbor asked if I'd want to come pick up those bees.

Here's the snag: The commercial beek breeds Italians with Africanized bees to make them more efficient pollinators. I don't want aggressive bees.

If I put them in a hive with a docile queen, will things work out in a few weeks? Or should I pass on this opportunity?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: orphaned bees; should I adopt?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:11:44 am »
This bee keeper is extremely irresponsible! His hives need to be removed before daylight or after dark, period! That point needs to be made ASAP! If they are swarms left behind, you could house them and either re-queen immediately or give them a few inspections to show their true colors then act appropriately.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:14:57 am »
picking up foragers is a little difficult.  it's not like getting swarms.  you could try putting a couple of hives in the same place the pollinator had his, but it's probably not worth the bother.  then you would have to merge then into your hives...and for what?  they are at the tail end of their lives anyway.

as for the breed, it makes no difference.  as long as you are not breeding queens in that area, what he has in his hive wouldn't matter.   even if those workers were to join your hives, there wouldn't be enough of them to change the temperament of the hive.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:16:56 am »
JP, these guys work when they can.  we have tons of them here.  they might have 10 fields that they are picking up or dropping off.  they aren't going to wait for dawn or dusk to move hives or they'd never get done.  ideally they would do as you suggest....but....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:36:15 am »
This bee keeper is extremely irresponsible! His hives need to be removed before daylight or after dark, period! That point needs to be made ASAP! If they are swarms left behind, you could house them and either re-queen immediately or give them a few inspections to show their true colors then act appropriately.

...JP

If you are a pollinator and have 500 hives or more in 10 orchard or so and thay WILL be spraying in 24 or 48 Hr. you do not have the time ......................

Just my $0.02
   BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:47:43 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 12:30:54 pm »
I saw a video once of a beek 'calling' bees home by beating on an object (metal poll or box - I can not remember). After about 1/2 hour (I think :rant:) there were about 4# of bees on a fence post. If I were going to try doing a retreavel of orphaned bees, I would try putting a hive of drawn frames about 2 feet off the ground with the opening facing SE and the top cover pulled back about 3 inches.  With a small hammer tap on the box for about 5 min. then leave it until night time.  If you get any bees, close it all up and move it at night to whereever you want it.  You will have to re-queen it immediately, or possibly try to combine it with an established hive.

Remember tough... a 3# package contains about 10,000 bees.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:23:32 pm »
"Leaving thousands of bees behind".

24 hours in a day, some of that time its dark. That's when I would move the hives. Just my .02.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 03:26:10 pm »
If I have to move my bees under less than ideal conditions I leave a pallet of hives behind to collect as many foragers back as possible and move them later. Of course I only place bees within a 60 mi radius or so too...not clear across the country!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 03:42:51 pm »
Alot of  pollinator that stop in MA. run the east cost FL. to ME.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 08:51:15 pm »
I saw a video once of a beek 'calling' bees home by beating on an object (metal poll or box - I can not remember). After about 1/2 hour (I think :rant:) there were about 4# of bees on a fence post. If I were going to try doing a retreavel of orphaned bees, I would try putting a hive of drawn frames about 2 feet off the ground with the opening facing SE and the top cover pulled back about 3 inches.  With a small hammer tap on the box for about 5 min. then leave it until night time.  If you get any bees, close it all up and move it at night to whereever you want it.  You will have to re-queen it immediately, or possibly try to combine it with an established hive.

Remember tough... a 3# package contains about 10,000 bees.  -Mike

That is called "tanging" a swarm. I don't know if it works on foragers alone.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:05:16 pm »
You could get the foragers, and I would not worry that he raises his bees in Florida or some other AHB area with aggressive bees.  You are just going to use them for a couple of weeks before they die off.

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:13:58 pm »
If you have a weak hive or two you could set them out.  A foraging bee will generally be accepted in a new hive it they are loaded with honey or pollen.
Their temperament will not change because it is bred into them.  They will die off from old age and the hive will return to it's normal disposition.  They do not participate in the breeding of a new queen so they will not effect the next generation.
If they have some AHB blood in them they will probably be better foragers, have more disease resistance and should not be a bother to handle because they will be out foraging instead of being guard bees.  You may have to wear a veil and use a smoker for awhile.
Regards
Joe

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 11:14:46 pm »
If I have to move my bees under less than ideal conditions I leave a pallet of hives behind to collect as many foragers back as possible and move them later. Of course I only place bees within a 60 mi radius or so too...not clear across the country!

Scott

This is what I do as well. It works.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan