Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What and how to paint a hive ?  (Read 1945 times)

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
What and how to paint a hive ?
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:44:23 am »
Ok i have a ply nuc here what should i paint it with ?? And how long would it take to dry?

Im needing to use it relitivly soon, like in 4 days. This is the problem......

Should i prime and paint with latex? Or boiled linseed and wax ? or is there another ?

Thanks everyone.

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
Re: What and how to paint a hive ?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:52:53 am »
Any type of exterior paint should be fine. Paint dries in hours. You should be able to use it the next day or in the afternoon if you paint it one morning. Some people say not to use oil based paint, but I have used it many times with no problem! I do not get to worried about priming and all that stuff. It is a bee hive and it will be dirty like the rest of them in a few months, but if you want to it will not hurt a thing!

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
Re: What and how to paint a hive ?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 02:03:13 am »
Plywood would have to be painted.  Linseed oil would work, but would take some time to totally cure.

Exterior latex primer, 2 coats, make sure to saturate the edges and cracks, that's where the moisture will penetrate the body of the wood.  Finish with exterior latex.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

anything