Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: spring build-up question  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
spring build-up question
« on: February 28, 2007, 11:37:55 pm »
This will be my first spring with over-wintered, 8 frame medium only hives. In each of my hives the cluster is right up under the inner cover now and seemingly healthy though I am certain my stores sre low. I recently put fondant patties in each hive to help insure survival.

For the initial build-up - will the boxes below the cluster that are empty of bees now but full of drawn comb suffice? Is it likely that the bees will move downward as brood appears and they eventually start foraging?

Offline Billy The Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • My Strong Hive
Re: spring build-up question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 10:23:06 am »
well it seems that ur bee's r in the top gettin the honey the only thing that concerns me is if the queen is up there that she might start layin up there but yea if everything goes right the bee's and the queen should drop down to brood chambers and start like they did durin summer but best of luck to u
Experienced BeeKeeper :D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 10:36:44 am »
>For the initial build-up - will the boxes below the cluster that are empty of bees now but full of drawn comb suffice? Is it likely that the bees will move downward as brood appears and they eventually start foraging?

Sure, but keep an eye out.  Two eight frame mediums is equivalent to ONE ten frame deep.  They can fill it pretty quickly in the spring buildup.  Don't let them run out of room.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 11:40:20 am »
Thanks for the above.  I have assumed all along that with this setup (mediums only) keeping an eye on things and being prepared for a slightly more attentive management protocol will be wise.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 02:47:26 pm »
You can do what people with ten frame deeps end up doing when they add one box and just add two eight frame mediums at a time.  But when the cluster is small it will be worth being more attentive and putting them on one at a time as needed.  You CAN do it like they do, or you can have more control if you want.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin