Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Weak colony as bait for trapout  (Read 3996 times)

Offline yrots

• New Bee
Weak colony as bait for trapout
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:10:49 pm »
I have a trap out opportunity in my own house for some bees. My original plan was to purchase 2 pkgs, raise them up to the point that I could get a frame of eggs to use as bait but that did not work out so well. (all absconded but I retrieved part of one) I have tried to locate some nucs to purchase but so far no luck there yet. The small swarm I captured (of my bees) are only a couple of hand-fulls after the ants found them so I placed them in a 5-frame medium nuc. Could this small colony with queen be used as bait for the trap out or should I continue to try to locate a way to get a frame of eggs?

Dirk
Dirk

Moots

Re: Weak colony as bait for trapout
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 07:18:51 pm »
Dirk,
I'm currently in the process of doing two trapouts...What you're describing is exactly what I have done for both and it seems to be working just fine. As a matter of fact, I also posted before doing it and the consensus was its been done and works fine.  :)

Good luck with it, really an opportunity for a win/win since that small of a hive would likely not make it without help.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:19:35 pm »
If it has a laying queen, it will work fine. The increase in population will put her in high gear if she is any good.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 07:21:42 pm »
If you set it up right now you will have the best chance at working this out.  The queen needs workers and food.  
The faster you set the cone the faster she will have bees.  
It it's only a handful make sure there aren't ants able to get them again.  
Spray a little sugar water syrup in a comb so they have something.  

It's not a great prospect but time and food  is of the essence in this type situation.
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline yrots

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 09:23:49 pm »
Great to hear this is a viable option. I already have everything ready to go including the cone so I can start this tomorrow. Hopefully this works out as my wife has been very patient about getting the bees out of the wall.
Thanks for the info.

Dirk
Dirk

Offline yrots

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:08:50 pm »
Everything seems to be going well at this point. I siliconed the cone in place in the AM Sunday and by the end of the day all of the foragers that had been accumulated around the base of the cone had moved into the capture box. It was interesting to watch as bees would venture into the box and then come right back out (identified as carrying pollen). Later in the day they were obviously staying longer each time until the end of the day when they remained in the box overnight. Now i just have to cross my fingers and wait out the rest of the brood to hatch and exit and hope they remain.

Question, when the time comes to remove the hive from the trap out, what steps do I take since I only need to move them about 40 yards to the hive stands? I was hoping all I would need to do by that time would bee seal the hive after all the foragers return, move the hive and place a branch or something in front of the hive so when the exit the next morning they will re-orient.

Dirk
Dirk

Moots

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 04:39:40 pm »
Dirk,
Search the forum for "iddee trap out video"...thinking that should work. iddee did a great video at Bud3 which is posted here. It details the whole timeline of the process. However, being in FL, you might face the same challenge as me in Louisiana. SHB's may overrun the weakened hive before the process can complete.

Here's the video link...I found it!
Good luck, keep us posted.

Offline yrots

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 06:33:06 pm »
Thanks Moot, I have watched that video several times over the last week. Lots of excellent information. You're right about the SHB in Florida, I have seen some of Hardwoods photos of a trap out high up in a tree overtaken by them. The entrance hole for my trap out is about 6 inches off the ground. I suspect this trap out may turn into a cutout if things go south on me. Some consolation if the hive survives. My intro to beekeeping  has started with 2 packages which absconded, a recaptured swarm then decimated by ants before I built a hive stand on oil filled cans and now a potential catastrophe within the walls of my house. Learning by fire I guess.

Dirk
Dirk

Moots

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 06:43:20 pm »
Dirk,
Definitely sounds like you're on the excellorated intro course to beekeeping.  :laugh:

As to your question, Yes, I think what you're outlined should work fine.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 07:54:26 pm »
SHB's are a problem here is the south especially with a weak hive. Don't give them any more drawn comb than can be covered with bees. If the trap out colony is small and the bait hive is small, start with a NUC size box.

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Moots

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 09:03:40 pm »
SHB's are a problem here is the south especially with a weak hive. Don't give them any more drawn comb than can be covered with bees. If the trap out colony is small and the bait hive is small, start with a NUC size box.

Steve   

Steve,
Your point is a good one....However, I wasn't referring to the bait hive being overrun, that can be addressed with the suggestions you've made.  The problem is with the original hive that's being trapped out.  As the process of robbing bees from it continues, naturally, it gets quite week, which is necessary for the trap out to work and to get the queen to relocate.  However, with that comes susceptibility to being overrun with SHB.  It's a double edged sword, not really anything that can be done about it.