Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee lining box  (Read 8344 times)

Offline mattoleriver

• New Bee
Bee lining box
« on: July 30, 2004, 03:34:27 pm »
A recent discussion on the Trading Post forum has me wondering: is a bee box necessary for bee lining?  The few boxes that I have seen have all been homemade and of relatively simple design.  Does this reflect a superiority of design or just a lack of suitable alternatives?  Is there something that can be done with a bee box that can not be done with a peanutbutter jar?  If I had to build something from scratch I would certainly choose to build a box rather than a jar, but, given the availability of jars, is there a functional reason to expend the time and energy to build a bee box?
George

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Bee lining box
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 04:47:32 pm »
Depends on how you want to go about it.  It can be done with just a coffee can if you want.  The idea of the box with compartments is to capture a bunch of bees at one time and release them one at a time and progress down a path to locate the colony.  With the simple model, you have to keep waiting for return trips to progess.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Phoenix

• House Bee
    • http://www.cafepress.com/beeholder
Bee lining box
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 05:31:15 pm »
From my understanding a "Beelining Box" is compartmentalized so that you can catch bees one at a time.  Starting with the first chamber, closing the entrance behind the bee, opening the door between chamber 1 and 2, letting it move to the next chamber and closing the door behind it and catching another bee in chamber 1, etc., etc.  The more compartments you have the more bees you can accumulate in order to get you closer to their hive.  I'm not sure how you would do this with a jar or can, but I'm sure that multiple jars would work to serve the same purpose.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Bee lining box
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 10:17:02 pm »
Take a coffee can and put a sponge with sugar water and a few drops of anise.  Once a bee finds it,  while she is feeding, mark her with some paint.  She will go back to the hive and tell others.  Time her round trip to figure how far away the colony is.  Once the sponge becomes a hot spot for bees,  put the cover on it and let them sit a few minutes to make sure they fill themselves up.  As best as you can, release one bee at a time and watch them as long as you can.  They will initially circle to get their bearings and then go straight towards the colony.  Move the the last place you spotted the bee and release another bee and watch it.  

Another alternative, is if there is a lot of bees working the area,  go around and catch them and put them in the can.  Once you have enough, start releasing them one at a time.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Mark Allen

bee lining box
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 03:32:25 pm »
I have pictures and dimensions of my grandfathers 3 lining boxes he used a simpler method more exact at locating colony than walk and release method

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Bee lining box
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 06:48:28 am »
Mark
I would like to see those pics
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Mark Allen

bee lining box
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 01:19:56 pm »
email me bigrog at wind817888@msn.com and I will send photos

anything