Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trapout without eggs?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Dogguy

• New Bee
Trapout without eggs?
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:21:18 pm »
I am new to bees, I only have a 3 week old hive.  Just so happens I find a new nest 50 ft from my house in a tree.  I can not cut the tree down so a trapout is the only way to capture it.  I have all the materials to do a trapout except a frame of eggs.  So what, if any are my options for getting this nest?

Thanks

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Re: Trapout without eggs?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:26:03 pm »
I am in the same delima myself and went look at a tree for someone that is full of bees and need to do a trap out too. Awaiting response from the experienced folk out there.
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:29:46 pm »
Check with a local bee club. some one their should be willing to help out with a frame of eggs. most bee clubs are always willing to help everyone who has a love of the bees. If not You could Wait for awhile if your area has a long enough season to do the trap out in may. by then you should have enough brood to use from your hive. just heavy feed the hive you have to get them building.

You could always set swarm traps around and use it as a bee tree to get more hives. just one note. It gettttts verryyyy adddicctiiive. and the withdrawls are terrible. :-D

john

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:30:43 pm »
trap em out for a couple days youll get a nice wad of bees.  do the newspaper combine on your hive and get the turbo boost.  wash rinse repeat..  you can collapse the colony if thats your goal by leaving the cone on for long periods.  a frame of eggs is a precious commodity to a new hive..  just acquire the work force to get yours going.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 03:29:31 am »
Leave them in the tree if they are not harming anyone and put up some swarm boxes :)
Shane

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:36:24 am »
I am new to bees, I only have a 3 week old hive.  Just so happens I find a new nest 50 ft from my house in a tree.  I can not cut the tree down so a trapout is the only way to capture it.  I have all the materials to do a trapout except a frame of eggs.  So what, if any are my options for getting this nest?

Thanks

If you can wait 2 or 3 weeks you will have eggs to use or buy a queen. I would set up swarm traps and not do a trapout for free.Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Dogguy

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:33:35 pm »
Thanks for all the info!  I guess I will hang some traps(built one today).  If no results will use some eggs in a month from my 1st hive.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 11:42:54 pm »
Take your new 3 week hive and hang it up as the trap out.   You will get all the foragers from the tree hive and your new hive will be 2 deep high in no time.   I have done a trap out with a small nuc before and in a couple of weeks they were in 2 deeps full. 

anything