Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problem with bees on a trap out funnel  (Read 5413 times)

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
Problem with bees on a trap out funnel
« on: August 29, 2013, 07:10:08 pm »
I set up a trap out on a tree and it took me 4 days to finally get all the entrances sealed off.
The first hive body filled up with bees so I added another hive body as a super.
Two days later I checked on them again and I had around 3 or 4 pounds of bees on the funnel, it looked like a swarm.
I vacuumed them off.
I just checked on the trap out again and bees are collecting on the funnel base then crawling out to the end and entering the funnel.
The other bees are fly straight into the hive but these are going in and out of the funnel itself.
Do I need to reposition the funnel or what?
This is the only trap out I have doing this.
Here is a picture of the trap out.

Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Problem with bees on a trap out funnel
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:38:02 pm »
The only thing I see that might cause it is the entrance to the catchbox. I would have it all the way across, or at least one on each side. The bees need to smell the brood when at the bottom of the cone. Then the ones that have adapted need a clear run to the field.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:21:08 pm »
Try sticking the pointy end of the screen into the hive body through the entrance hole.  Cut another exit hole on the opposite side.  The bees will have to pass through the hive to get out and will try to enter the tree by going through the box.  Spray a little lemongrass oil in the box.  Melt a little bees wax and brush it on the frames if you don't have foundation.
I run a 2" clear plastic tube from the colony (tree) to the catch box and put a 4" cone inside the box.
Regards
Joe

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
    • RV BEES
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 11:59:59 pm »
Let me backup.
this is week #3
When I set the trap out on the tree the bees were taking the box which had 6 frames, one of which had eggs and larva.
I also used lemon grass essential oil and sprayed the bare foundations with Pro Health.
I had to add a 2nd box in just a few days.
All of a sudden there was a lot of bees on the funnel, like a swarm.
I vacuumed about 3 pounds of bees from the funnel and tree.
There are bees flying directly into the hive entrance.
But there are some bees collecting at the base of the funnel then crawl out to the end and enter the funnel.
I have 2 way traffic in the funnel now.
The entrance is fine the bees use it good.
I just can't figure where all the other bees come from all of a sudden.
And why they're using the funnel instead of the hive.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. :?

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 09:49:31 pm »
If you have two way traffic in the cone then the entrance or t5he pointy end has to large an opening.   The object of the funnel is to make it just large enough (5/16") so the bees can come out but cannot get back in.
I attach a 2" dia plastic hose to the colony and stick the other end in a brood box.  Just inside the box I take a plastic funnel and nail it to the inside of the box so the bees have to come out into the brood area in order to get outside.  When you get a large amount of bees around the box on the outside it means the system is working.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
    • RV BEES
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 08:30:31 pm »
I put a couple of pine needles thru the tip of the funnel.
It worked.
Anyhow got that problem squared away.