Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: lots of dead drones outside of hive  (Read 4025 times)

Offline brooklynbees

• New Bee
lots of dead drones outside of hive
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:46:09 pm »
Went to the hive today and found at least a hundred dead drones lying outside the hive.  The workers seem to be fine.  Anyone have this happen to them and if so any theory on why?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: lots of dead drones outside of hive
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:12:39 am »
Your swarm season is over.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline brooklynbees

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:21:51 am »
Ohhh I like that answer...thanks. I feel much less anxious about a possible swarm if the season is over. Thanks.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:55:05 am »
That doesn't mean that they won't swarm....they can do that all summer...it just means that they major swarm season is over :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Javin

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 04:50:55 pm »
I've also read that this can be a sign of distress in the hive.  I'd check them to make sure their stores of pollen and honey are good.  They clear out the drones when they're not going to swarm, when they're prepping for winter, or any other time they need to get rid of the freeloaders.  So if they get low on pollen and honey, you could theoretically see it then.

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 06:05:50 pm »
They will also boot drones during a drought believe me it has been ongoing for about 6 weeks here only the realy strong hives have a few drones left. :-D