Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap Out?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Trap Out?
« on: May 04, 2009, 06:55:55 pm »
I got a call the other day about bees in a tree. So i went over and had a look at them and they are honey bees but they are up about 6 feet in a knot of a tree. This guy does not want to cut the tree down. So I assume the only option i have is to do a trap out on it?

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
Re: Trap Out?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 10:03:17 am »
Does he want them removed? sometimes it is best to leave them alone and trap the swarms. If you do a trap out you don't get the queen. and you'll probably get bees in the same tree by next year anyway. Feral colonies are a good thing as long as they are not AHB. Feral colonies are alive without "help" from a beekeeper so they are surviving on their own. We need that genetic  material to be passed on, not killed.
Jim

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 11:09:20 am »
From the information given here, I would do a trapout. It takes time and if done properly, the remaining bees will leave the tree as well. You can also remove the funnel used in the trapout after the colony is well established in the trap....so that they can return and rob out the stores left in the tree. It takes some time for trapouts, but you will be getting some free bees. Just make sure that all of the exits and entrances are sealed off before you apply the funnel for the trapout.

Brenda

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 03:19:18 pm »
I'm with Jim,   if you can convince him to leave them then just setting up a swarm trap is the best plan.   If they must go and the tree must stay, then a trap out is the next best option.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything