Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Georgia  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Conchis

• New Bee
Greetings from Georgia
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:30:56 pm »
Hi,

It's good to find this forum.  I am not precisely a novice beekeeper, but I am far from experienced.  I started a couple of hives 2 years ago and they were decimated over the first winter.  Despite having lost the 2 hives (and taking a year to lick my wounds), I learned quite a bit through my first failure and plan on making another go of it this year.  (I've got a swarm trap out right this very minute.)  I look forward to learning from all of you.

Mike

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: Greetings from Georgia
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:54:22 pm »
Welcome aboard and good luck!

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 04:54:58 pm »
Welcome
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 05:09:55 pm »
Welcome, but please put your location.  I'm in Georgia too, sure would like to know if you are close.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Conchis

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 09:07:43 am »
Sorry, I should have included my location.  I'm near Waynesboro.  Bird Dog Capital of the World (no joke.)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 10:56:58 am »
Welcome aboard Mike! So, is your swarm trap home made, store bought, what size?

Good luck catchin'!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Conchis

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:19:59 pm »
Hi JP..thanks for the welcome.  My swarm trap is a little 5 frame nuc box with 2 frames of drawn frame I had and the rest is foundation.  I'm using the lemongrass oil lure that folks have written about here I've never used that before and I'm anxious to see how it works.  It's probably a little bit early for swarms here yet, but you never know.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 05:45:20 pm »
You could add some lemon grass oil to your set up but the drawn frames will likely entice them. A piece of old comb in there does real nice. Your nuc a deep or medium?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 09:31:54 pm »
Hello and Welcome Mike
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline Conchis

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 09:09:48 am »
Thanks for all of the welcomes.  I'll have plenty of questions once I get some bees going again.  I never really had anyone to ask anything of my first time through.  I know this will be a great resource for me.

JP the nuc I have is a deep.  hahaha I have it sitting in some rosemary bushes that are blooming (I planted 10 of them from before because I thought it might add a little natural bee treatment to my environment)....the bees love those darned things and they bloom really early in the year as well as late).  There are honey bees in them now (probably from the one box that I had that swarmed twice)...The sure look like little Italians.

Thanks again for the welcomes.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 12:17:31 pm »
Conchis, welcome to our forum, so nice that you found us.  That is a hard thing when we lose our bees, but consider it a learning curve.  You know that you are under the spell of the honeybee, that is why you are going to keep them again, that is wonderful.  This will be a place where you can learn, tell your stories, tales and experiences, hang out and make new friends.  We are all interested in what everyone else is doing and we care -- this you will see.  Stick around.  AND....have that most wonderful and awesome day, life, and great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 08:10:21 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum, since you are in Waynesboro, you are not far from me and near a local beekeepers club, you may want to attend one of their meeting if you aren't already a member, here's their info

East Central Georgia Beekeepers

Edwin Stephens
Waynesboro, Georgia
706-437-1339

The East Central Georgia Beekeepers meet on the 4th Monday of every odd month in the Burke County Office Park
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Conchis

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 09:38:22 am »
Thank you for the information on the local beekeepers group TwT...that is really interesting.  So the fourth Monday in odd numbereed months....ummm  March 25th...man how does anyone remember?

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 08:00:04 pm »
its one of those things you just have to get a calender out and mark  ;)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic