Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wild bee hive in tree now in my lawn  (Read 9412 times)

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
Wild bee hive in tree now in my lawn
« on: January 02, 2011, 10:44:53 am »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the story goes I cut down this big hemlock 36in on the butt. Tree hits the ground I hit the road bees everyware. I come back to get the sawafter 5 or so minutes after watching them. Tree is hollow 24+inches of hive what I thought was one entry hole about 10ft up but later find out it has 2 entry holes 1 at 3ft and one at 10 ft. Maybe 2 hives? I talked to a couple guys that do bees they are all excited to get a free hive we talk how to get it out I even offer deliver of the tree yet no one shows so I now have a 24 foot tall tree somewhat vertical leaning on a Y of a maple in my hedgrow. I capped the top and the bottom hoping to keep the bees in there till spring so I can learn how to do something with them so now I am asking for advice. I guess I'll just let you guys take it from here but I am now planning on doing honeybees as I cut down a tree or 2 each year with bees in it, AND now I have a hive that is as near as I can figuire about 14ft tall. I got a good pound of honey out of the combs that fell out when I stood it up. Now the wife is even interested so now the adventure begins OHHHHH the things I get my self into

Thanks and any help would be appriciated
Charlie

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Wild bee hive in tree now in my lawn
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:36:02 am »
welcome to beekeeping!  first thing we need is your location.  you can change it in your profile.  the advice you  need if you live in england is not the same advice as you'd need for Australia  :-D

believe it or not, your's is not a unique situation.  if you search around on here, you'll find several people who have done the same.  most recently OzBuz (sp?)  and earlier Tillie.  both accounts are on here somewhere.

for a start, you have done the right thing in doing nothing until spring.  dropping the tree might have doomed the hive with an internal collapse, but opening it now would kill them for sure (unless you are down-under).
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:36:18 am »
Where are you located Charlie? Maybe someone from here is near you and can give counsel. Don't lock them in tight...they need to be able to fly on warm days to cleanse (poop).

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 11:40:29 am »
I will change my profile but I am in northeast PA.

Offline Yuleluder

• House Bee
    • Yule's Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:40:46 am »
Hey Charlie!  I see you found this forum also, lol.  He's from Pennsylvania, a couple hours north of me.

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:44:59 am »
Hey Charlie!  I see you found this forum also, lol.  He's from Pennsylvania, a couple hours north of me.

Looks like a good forum just trying to get the most info the easiest. I PM you back on Beesource.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 12:23:58 pm »
Likely you will need to let it sit right there til spring unless this hunk of tree can be moved by some bee keeper with the means to haul it off. If the two hives (is what I'm thinking) make it til spring, someone with experience can do a cut out or trap out on the tree come spring.

Maybe at that time you can watch and learn how its done.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 12:31:02 pm »
someone with experience can do a cut out or trap out on the tree come spring.

Maybe at that time you can watch and learn how its done.

...JP

Or one heckuva  road trip for the JP/Schawee Bee Removal Video Series. "Here we are folks in the state of PA" Just think of all the shake stands ya'll could hit on the way.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:36:15 pm »
That would be one heck of a road trip!  ;) I wonder how many shakes it would take to make a trip like that? You know Schawee'd probably have at least 6 or 7 just going there. If baby shakes, you better double that number.  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 12:43:57 pm »
Here is one I got from a tree cutter last fall.

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2452

It is flying today, after 3 snows and temps. in the teens, so maybe it'll make it to spring. I'll use a few newbees from the local club to remove them if it makes it.

Here is the one I overwintered last year and removed in the spring.

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=493

Charlie, if it makes it through the winter, go to your local bee club. There, you can likely find one good remover and a host of newbees willing to help, just for the experience. No money needed.
Also, the different forums have people on them that will walk you through it and even be on standby while you are actually doing it, ready for an emergency post or PM.

PS to JP. I can have a half dozen shakes waiting at the half way mark...  :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 12:49:33 pm »
Iddee, glad to see the bees in that huge chunk of wood are flying, looks like they may just make it to spring.

Iddee, you a good man to buy Schawee 20 shakes by the half way mark.  :-D

...JP

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 02:47:25 pm »
Here are some pics of how the tree and the bees stand right now. If there are 2 hives then the bottom one is a little upset with me right now. They did not like to have their pictures taken.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 04:29:06 pm by Robo »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 03:19:39 pm »
how is NC half way to PA?  you might as well come by my place.  i'll make the shakes with fresh berries!   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 03:41:42 pm »
PM one of the mods. They have to post pics for you until you are a seasoned member.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 03:53:49 pm »
PM one of the mods. They have to post pics for you until you are a seasoned member.

Done thanks I just got them into my post on beesource

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 04:13:22 pm »
Ah heck jcbrotz, suit up and rev up that chain saw.  Slab off that tree in 4 in increments and dump the comb in any box.  Maybe you can use the kids toy box or something like that.  Let the bees sort it out themselves.  How you gonna learn if you don’t dig right in.  Get over your fears. Don’t be a wimp.  Oh, I almost forgot, paste a sign on your chest “I mean you no harm”.

I’m just kidding jcbrotz.  Leave it alone and get some help in the Spring even if it is an old timer that keeps doing it all wrong.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 08:38:24 pm »
I even offer deliver of the tree yet no one shows so I now have a 24 foot tall tree somewhat vertical leaning on a Y of a maple in my hedgrow

jcbrotz
 Glad you made it over here ,hope someone is close and can come by too help.You say you offered other folks the bees and even to bring the tree :shock:
 If you have the machinery to move that tree ,I think you should try and set it back up right ,even if you have to move it somewhere else, If there is a way to re-right it, the bees will settle better
They build using gravity and now their comb is all angled and discombobulated.
The seasoned beekeepers here may say more than me(I'm a green horn)
 I think if you can stand it,Go for it
When summer rolls around you'll know enough to get you some free bees from it.
I'm sure by then there will be a Beek willing to help you remove and box them,
your on your way to a new Hobby and more??
Welcome to Beemaster and bee keeping

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 06:53:41 pm »
no offense intended but why did u cut the tree down now  and not wait till spring to do i when its warmer ??? :roll:

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 07:08:41 pm »
no offense intended but why did u cut the tree down now  and not wait till spring to do i when its warmer ??? :roll:

UHM cuz I wanted to saw out a bunch of 1X10X12 (I own a sawmill) not make honey. I had no idea there were bees in it when I cut it if I did they would still be in the woods.
Not intentional by any means just one of those things that has happened to me 3 time so far (none intenionaly). I have gave away 2 bee trees in the last 3 year, but nobody would take it even if I delivered it :?. So now I have a new hobby saving the bees. I know were 2 more trees are right now but they are living happily in the wild and staying that way unless something happens to them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:07:47 pm by jcbrotz »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 07:57:20 pm »

I know were 2 more trees are right now but they are living happily in the wild and staying that way unless something happens to them.

It sounds like you have a natural queen rearer that likes those trees.  If you are serious about getting into the hobby I would let them be and look into trap outs.  You already have the hives you just need to encourage them to live in a box where you can steel their honey. :-D
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 08:02:41 pm »
Trap outs would destroy not only the tree colonies but the genetics as well...better to set swarm traps. You could possibly harvest many swarms from those trees over the years.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 08:06:39 pm »
Now i know why u cut the trees  :-D  Its def a fun hobby but it can bee time consuming. Thats great that there is swarms in all those trees maybe we as beekeepers have it all wrong :)

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 08:09:16 pm »
I thought thats what bees do naturally live in the woods ?? no ?? :roll:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 10:19:34 am »
You could possibly harvest many swarms from those trees over the years.

And you couldn't harvest multiply trap outs?  I guess I need to learn more about this.  After the bees have left the tree and they have emptied the tree hive from honey it would seem to me that now becomes an inviting natural home for a swarm (from one of the other trees).

What happens if he can catch a swarm, and successfully gets that to stay in the box.  Can he add bees to the colony by using the trap out technique?  You can stop the trap out at any time you want so I would think you would end up with a colony in the box and still one in the tree.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 10:45:47 am »
It's quite possible to harvest multiple hives from a trap out providing you can supply the queens. The first bees out of the cone are field bees. This leaves a shortage of foragers and with no nectar or pollen coming in the queen starts to slow down her laying as more and more nurse bees are recruited into the forager position. As more and more bees are lost to the trap the colony spirals down eventually to a point where they can no longer sustain themselves and collapses. At this point the queen and what workers may be left will normally abscond. It's very difficult to tell exactly where this point is.

The only ways to preserve the genetics from a bee tree is with a cut out (where you might have a 60-60% survival rate) or trapping swarms for at least half the genes.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 12:20:35 pm »
It's quite possible to harvest multiple hives from a trap out providing you can supply the queens. The first bees out of the cone are field bees. This leaves a shortage of foragers and with no nectar or pollen coming in the queen starts to slow down her laying as more and more nurse bees are recruited into the forager position.

I was thinking he could buy the first nuc and use the field bees from the tree to build the hive real quick then pull off the trap cone.  Obviously timing is an issue but a saw a topic on this forum that laid out the whole timing of the procedure.  Maybe it was a link of one of the forum topics I saw.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 12:36:42 pm »
  Obviously timing is an issue but a saw a topic on this forum that laid out the whole timing of the procedure.  Maybe it was a link of one of the forum topics I saw.

This is what you saw is Idees plans and time line for doing them
I broke myself into keeping using this method
It worked for me the first time and I didn't own Nothing as in keeping tools
Gear Nada I used a turkey Vail and food grade Liquid smoke in a spay bottle
I am a Very determined, poor bee keeper

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »
This is what you saw is Idees plans and time line for doing them
I broke myself into keeping using this method
It worked for me the first time and I didn't own Nothing as in keeping tools
Gear Nada I used a turkey Vail and food grade Liquid smoke in a spay bottle
I am a Very determined, poor bee keeper

That's my point.  This guy is a tree cutter who found some bees and he knows where there are more.  Why would he be worried about genetics at this point?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 12:59:55 pm »
That's my point.  This guy is a tree cutter who found some bees and he knows where there are more.  Why would he be worried about genetics at this point?
OK you win "Y"

I was only helping you as to where you read the article
I could care less if he milled it or burnt it. :-D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:06:47 pm by Robo »
Abraham Lincoln

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 07:33:42 pm »
Ok guys I am definatly looking forward to my new hobby. I have not yet decided on which to do trap out or cut out but am leaning towards a cutout. I am looking for the most effective way and hopefully the best for the bee's.

I have just found a guy  only a couple miles from the house that I am going to talk to to get his take. He's an older gentleman and has done many swarm traps and a couple cutouts.  I'll keep you guys posted and keep reading so any suggestions are more than welcome.

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 07:08:05 pm »
Well I am still around and looking forward to spring staying. It was in 60's for the last 2 days and the girls were flying around like crazy loving the warm weather. There had to be 200 of the girls around my bird feeders not sure why must be pollen? I am still unsure if there are 2 seperate hives or 1 really large one, But I will find out in a few weeks:D.

I made a trip to Dadents and picked up 2 of their 8 frame garden hives. I'm ready for them one it warms up and stays. How long should I hold out? That is the one thing I am not sure of is how warm should I let it get its going back to the 40's for the next week or so atleast thats what the weathermen are guessing.

Anyway thanks for letting me read and learn so far my girls appear to be doing great lots of activity on warm days. I will continue to update my progress and stings if I get any:popcorn:

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 06:53:13 pm »
Today was the day.  :-D

Well I started from the bottom and worked my way up to the end of the first hive, I stopped 2 foot into semi solid wood. Holy cow that was a lot of bee's. Not 100% sure I got the queen but think I did as their are not many bees left in what used to be their hive. I put as much comb/brood in as I could not very much honey left but got a little bit in and left the rest around for them to clean up. They were already trying to put pollen in to the foundation. Hope I did good I was very suprised how calm they were I smoked them pretty heavy at first then not again. I think of I had a bigger set of !!!!! then I could have done it without a hood but being my first time I wore the hood and taped my boots and some leather gloves(light ones).

Anything I should do tonight??? Nothing like a last minute question.

Only one more hive to cut out maybe tomorrow if not then tuesday. I'll keep you posted with any progress but atleast no americas funniest videos today.(maybe on the next one)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:12:33 pm by jcbrotz »

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 07:46:52 pm »
Well I just looked at them and the are their new home and buzzing happily. Wifey says I'm nuts I went in shorts and a tank top to check them out. They are calm as can bee

Pics tomorrow if I get time.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 08:12:13 pm »
JC,you may want to feed them syrup to assist in getting comb drawn on the foundation and to feed the larvae if the queen commences laying right away.
 Bees bringing in pollen is a good sign. Good job at your first attempt.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 09:32:28 pm »
Congratulations

Sounds like your a natural :) If you got the bees working the hive already and they are calm,
I too think you may have gotten the queen.
You will know in a week or 2
No need to worry yet,I also think you should feed some.
I take 2 cups sugar put in a Bottle then microwave 2 cups water till it has bubbles
I pour it into the sugar and shake
I drink a lot of Gatorade so I use those as feeders. I clean one get a finish nail
or Safety pin poke a bunch of holes in the lid
I turn it upside down away from the hive so most of the drip or all stops before I
Put it on the hive

Good luck Bees are a great Hobby

Tommyt
Abraham Lincoln

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2011, 11:25:57 pm »
Sounds like you had a successful day, congratulations!

...JP

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2011, 05:25:43 am »
The first one was easy now lets see if I learned anything for the 2nd one. I may get to it today if not tomorrow for sure.I was waiting to see if it was one very large hive or 2 different ones in the tree. I planned on feeding them today also putting out all the old comb honey for them to rob. I just hope got the queen. I was supprised how calm they were after I got the majority of them in the hive, I took that as a good thing they were also tightly clustered together around the brood. Hope the are OK my 2 boys love to go and watch them bring home pollen and buzz the flowers, That and I got lots of apple/peach trees and along with other fruits and a half  acre garden for them to work for me.OH and I may get to steal some honey :-D

Thanks guys,
     Charlie
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:29:10 pm by jcbrotz »

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 07:26:18 am »
jcbrotz......

Sounds like it is going good for you so far congratulations!

X:X X:X X:X X:X

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2011, 06:54:18 am »
Well I finally got to do the second cutout. A friend of mine helped me was a lot easier with 2 no vail and in T-shirts! We didn't even get stung till I nealled on a poor bee. Any who I am now in belief that I had one colony living in 2 seperate living quarters. As soon as the Husky was rev'd up they started to move into the the hive I had already hived. No fighting just walking right in. I did a pretty good looksee last night and the first hive is busting at the seems the one we just did had a few hundred bees in it their was not much brood in the top hive but lots of larva in the original. I am not good enough to find a queen yet but it looks like I got the old girl the first time. I was supprised with the number of bees out of the last cutout te air was black girls from both hives just a buzzing. I was a little concerend with the amount of dead bees but almost all of them are drones, LOTS of drones I am guessing due to being disturbed/food being moved they were booted out? I have a feeder in both hives and they are feeding nicely, they are now filling in the gaps of the original comb at a much faster rate, they started maybe 2 weeks ago on one frame now are working 4 so I'm guessing the sudden buildup from the other cutout gave them reason/workers to do this. I will check them in a week or so and report back.

Thanks,
Charlie

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2011, 12:33:11 pm »
Wow!!  How did I miss this bee adventure?  Simply amazing.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

anything