Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Doc Martin  (Read 6346 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Doc Martin
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:20:43 pm »
picked up this brit series on netflix.  there are several seasons on there and it's been pretty good so far.  just getting to the end of season 1. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: Doc Martin
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:13:49 am »
We enjoyed it very much; watched the first four series on Netflix. Love the scenery and the interplay between Doc Martin and Louisa.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:00:21 am »
Doc Martin - brilliant.

A couple more you may like to investigate (if you haven't already) is New Tricks - about a trio of retired policemen brought back into the force in order to investigate unsolved cases; Time Team - a bunch of archaeologists who take on various historical sites with just 3 days to make some kind of sense of them; and Hustle - a group of highly principled con-artists who pull off the most audacious cons - kindof 20th century Robin Hoods.

There was also an excellent mini-series a while back called Hope Springs, about a bunch of escaped female ex-cons who wind-up in a run-down Scottish hotel rather than sunning themselves in the Caribbean, which was their original plan.

Oh - not forgetting Wild at Heart - the story of an English vet (and family) and a game reserve in Africa for endangered species.

Hopefully Rapidshare, Youtube, FilesTube or something similar will supply.

All of the above have either ended or are on their last series - usually due to having run out of new ideas for scripts, or have simply gone stale after long runs.

Hope there's something there you like.  :)

LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 12:25:09 pm »
thanks little john.  since my family is from England and i still have relatives over there that i get to visit from time to time, i get British shows   :evil:  my husband doesn't, so i end up watching them on my lap top or tablet. 

i'll check out the shows you have listed.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 10:23:09 pm »
  I believe Doc Martin takes place in Cornwall where my family has its roots so the whole thing strikes a chord with me.
  I have introduced the wife and a few friends to Brit TV and she is quite a fan of the police and mystery shows now. New Tricks, has lasted 8 seasons over there and I hate to think of it leaving the air. We have become fans as well of The Midsumer Murders series, and Inspector Lynley, though I like the sergant better than Lynley.

I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 12:11:39 pm »
i like the Midsumer Murder series also.  we get some on BBC America, but not as many as they used to show. 

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 05:27:23 pm »
Thanks Kathy:

You got my wife into watching Doc Martin, she's now into season 2 mid season. I enjoy it, when I get to catch an episode, but missing a bunch doesn't seem to matter a lot, so that's good for me - if I have questions, she'll fill me in.

The terrain is amazing, the buildings old and none seem too refurbished. I guess most call it quaint, I call it drafty, but I find it funny, it seems everyone is always walking up-hill usually on a steep incline - ideally, the Doc's office looks like the highest point, and as they say so often, almost a Catch-phrase "You need a car to get around" I couldn't agree more.

Fun show, reminds me of several lighter hearted 70s shows here, I'd say like a Quincy without too much drama, no shows ideally come to mind, I keep getting into the detective shows, and that's not a good comparison. But it has a feeling of simpler times is what I guess I'm saying, and nothing wrong with that.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:55:35 pm »
Will look into this show. I am hooked on breaking bad right now and whenever I have the time to watch anything, I am catching up with this series. But Doc Martin sounds interesting. Will check out Netflix.

You know Kathy I just installed a little box called "Neo TV" that streams Netflix movies onto my large screen tv and now I don't have to sit and watch all those shows on my laptop. I am loving it.

Take care
Annette

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 11:41:26 am »
Neo TV sounds like a winner.  i have xbox live so i can do the same thing though that, but if i were not paying for the xbox live, i'd look at the system you put in. 

i do like being able to take my tablet and netflix to bed with me, but usually i read at night so i don't watch to often in bed.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »
Yes this series Doc Martin looks like something I would like. I popped it into my instant movie queue.

I am also hooked on Downton Abbey and am waiting for the next season to come to netflix.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 07:18:49 pm »
I am also hooked on Downton Abbey

me too.  great show and i had no idea it was on pbs.  i would have watched season 2 as it showed instead of now waiting for it to be on netflix!

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:24:17 pm »
I am also hooked on Downton Abbey

me too.  great show and i had no idea it was on pbs.  i would have watched season 2 as it showed instead of now waiting for it to be on netflix!

Kathy
Doc martin was filmed in Port Issac, Cornwall.
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 03:55:05 pm »
cider, i think my sister had told me that, but i'd forgotten.  they did a good job with the ending too.  so many show just leave you hanging :-)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:50 am »
Well I guess I need to start this series as now waiting for Downton Abbey, Breaking Bad and Homeland.