Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is it wrong to eat honey other than your own?  (Read 12463 times)

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: Is it wrong to eat honey other than your own?
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 07:27:01 pm »
  Bernsad, Bud5 is hopefully another meeting of beekeepers in Macon, Mississippi. I managed to make it in 2011 and enjoyed the hospitality of Bud and many other beekeepers  besides learning one hell of a lot about beekeeping.

VID00011.MP4          Just a link of Bud, Beemaster and myself at Meridian airport. When you bring up that video it should lead you to lots of others under Bud3. Lots of serious stuff and some good laughs.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:52:43 am by Geoff »
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 01:56:48 am »
You fellows come on over to Bud 5.  I am a new beek and was going to Bud 4 but had to have a stint or 2 put in, plan to make to 5.  I'm about 100  or some miles south of Bud.  There are lots of different flavors of honey.  A friend use to have 6 or 7 different honeys from different crops.   Try to see you then.  I had a buddy back in the early 70's in the Aussy navy.  The Aussy, Canadian and Us navys played war games in Hawaii during the month of sept. every year.  Can't remember his name right now.

Joe

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 02:43:29 am »
Have you tried the coconut honey eco? How did you stumble onto that one?

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 02:53:54 am »
Geoff,

Thanks for the link to the Bud videos, looks like a whole lot of fun.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 08:46:21 am »
Have you tried the coconut honey eco? How did you stumble onto that one?

yes stumbled across this guy, while looking for the guy i bought honey off in the cook islands, his palm honey was extremely white and delicious, obviously only consumable while in the cook islands though :(

Offline Wonga

• House Bee
  • The budget should be balanced, the Treasury refill
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 12:11:48 am »
Like a winemaker has to taste other vineyards' wine, Bernsad, a Beekeeper has to taste other honeys.

at our place we currently have the following honeys going, to satisfy all family tastes:
1. Leatherwood Honey of course, from the westcoast of Tasmania, "the Rolls-Royce of Honeys" haven't tired of this honey ever, still like a drop in tea, especially herbal teas.
2. A "Matured Stringybark' honey made in 1952, from Coolah, specifically, along the Coolaburradundy River, this honey got stored by an irate beekeeper when the then State Government put on a two penceper pound tax on honey. Its still tasty, thick and dark, treacle like.
3. Some Glen Innes Iron Bark honey - excellent.
4. Honey from a producer in the Blue Mountains - creamed honey for those who like that sort of thing.
5. 'Sugarbag' honey from native bees, sourced from North Queensland, -runny, expensive, clearish, tasty, has to stay refrigerated.
6. Good old home grown honey, can't beat it.

regards,

Offline SerenityApiaries

• House Bee
    • Swarm List - West Coast Beekeepers
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 03:57:15 am »
Wonga, you have an amazing talent for sizzle words. I'm especially intrigued by the 1952 stock. I can imagine that like a fine wine, some honeys just get better with age. I wonder if there could be a market for matured honey. I would definitely be interested in giving it a shot. "perhaps a nice vintage 2011 blackberry honey for the toast and a teaspoon of delicious 2010 fireweed honey for the tea" as to be said in 2025. Lol
Check out West Coast Beekeepers on FB. A great place for Beekeepers along the west coast of America. All are welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/westcoastbeekeepers

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2012, 06:04:49 am »
Wonga,

A few months ago I had about 6 varieties on the go myself and I'm the only one in the house who eats honey regularly. The missus was complaining about the amount of room taken up on one shelf of her pantry so I steadily demolished them all until I was down to about 2, then I bought another 2 last weekend. The funny thing is, we were out driving today and stopped at a roadside fruit stall which also advertised a range of honeys, I can't believe my wife asked me if I needed any honey. :roll:

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 01:15:49 am »
I, as odd as it sounds, actually enjoy collecting honey from different producers around the country... at the end of the day honey is like a wine! you're never going to get exactly the same product and each batch is going to have some unique tastes to it... i don't think there's anything wrong with it at all...

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 09:43:25 am »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Qz2Qz8Izo

This bloke is on the right path..

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2012, 09:45:43 am »
Oops was ment to be under this thread... Stupid iPad!

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,37263.0/all.html

Offline Wonga

• House Bee
  • The budget should be balanced, the Treasury refill
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 09:45:52 am »
Well,

thanks Serenity,

it sure is all about the the honey, after all, although I like the beeswax and and the insect communal mind/hive life too. I mean, its the honey, right? I love the hive open, smelling sweet, bees huzzing and frames all clustered in the autumn sun, and that first cuppa tea at dawn before going to work, sitting next to our hives, but its all about the honey, too, hey. Dog agrees.

like wine sure, different tastes and smells and textures, even honeys from the same hives and trees taste different year from year,sure beats sugar.