Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My hive smells (great)--WHY?  (Read 11937 times)

Offline Bee Curious

• House Bee
Re: My hive smells (great)--WHY?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 06:47:22 pm »
The smell of artificial butter is mostly butyric acid which is also the smell of Parmesan cheese, vomit and bee go, just in differing amounts.

I've always wondered if it's the smell of goldenrod or the smell of asters as they both always bloom at the same time here.  But I smell gym socks.  Some describe it as butterscotch.  Part of it, I'm sure, is the subjectivity of smell, but some of it may also be the proportion of asters to goldenrod...

I'm the original poster here, and today, I noticed a sour-ish smell from my hive.  Goldenrod is now in bloom, and the asters haven't really opened up yet.  So, I am thinking, I've got the goldenrod stink.  Maybe the asters will compound the smell when they really get blooming? The bees are bringing in some neon orange pollen and white pollen.

Offline TNBeeLady

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 06:57:03 pm »
Well we finally have goldenrod blooming here, & my bee yard definitely has the stinky sock smell! 

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 09:30:00 pm »
Rabbit bush here plus golden rod = my apiary smelling like a locker room lol :(
I'm happy though that they are packing in honey for the winter even if it smells bad.
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 09:35:39 pm »
I haven't seen any goldenrod blooming around here but I think my bees have found some. There's at least 5 acres in front of the house and 5 to 10 behind the house that isn't but about a minute from blooming. I looked at the blooms and they were losing their green color for yellow.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything