Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stung in the eye.  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Ed

• New Bee
Stung in the eye.
« on: January 20, 2014, 02:55:10 pm »
Over the weekend I was at a friend's apiary going through his 30 hives. The last one had unfriendly bees. I thought I was safe in my full body suit but one got inside my veil and stung me just below my eyelid. Today it hurts worse and is a little swollen. It does affect my sight a little. Are there any pointers on how to care for my eye? I hope it doesn't get much worse or affect my vision in the long term. I did get the stinger out but not until after about 15 minutes. Thanks!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Stung in the eye.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 03:10:57 pm »
if it stung you in the eyeball, you need to see a doc.  if it got you around the eye, try some benadryl and ice. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ed

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 03:21:23 pm »
Under the eyelid. It's my vision I'm worried about, which is impacted. I can live with the pain and expect it to go away eventually.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 08:18:37 pm »
Back a few years ago, I went to pick up some hives, the guy I had with me had never been around bees.  When we got there he wa off messing with the bees, I was still putting on my suit.  Two got me below the right eye brow, before we got home that eye was shut.  It wasn't really effecting my sight, well I couldn't see because it was swelled shut.     
When in doubt, play it safe, and see the Doc if you think you may need to.
Hope it is fine.

Joe

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 09:13:33 pm »
The question is what is different about your sight?  Is your sight effected because your lid is swollen?  Is your vision blurry?  Are you seeing double?  If you can't see because your lid is so swollen than it's swollen shut then don't worry about it. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 10:38:30 pm »
this time last year i got hit twice in two weeks on the eyelid.  felt like i took a punch and there was some swelling.  if you think that it has done something to your vision you need to get it checked out. 

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 09:35:32 am »
I suggest one of KathyP's medicines, vagasil.  Hey it really works.  I combine with benadryl ointment and cortisone based ointment.  About every 4 hours.  Not sure what the one extra ingredient is in the Vagasil, but it works so well it isn't embarassing for a guy to go buy it.  Cheap too.

Unless the swelling gets so severe it causes too much pressure on the eyeball itself, you should be okay, but like K said, if it is at all the eyeball get to a doc.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Ed

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 01:38:48 pm »
The question is what is different about your sight?  Is your sight effected because your lid is swollen?  Is your vision blurry?  Are you seeing double?  If you can't see because your lid is so swollen than it's swollen shut then don't worry about it. 

There is almost no swelling. My focus is affected, I think, because the eye muscle is sore and not fully functional. I wonder if the stinger got into a nerve or muscle. My vision is not blurry or double. Seems like the venom is affecting my eye more internally than externally. My eye is very sore, like someone punched it, and if I close it and rest then it's improved. It is not as bad as it was three days ago, but I am still going to see a doctor. How long does it take before bee venom runs its course and is out of your system?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 01:54:53 pm »
OOH! 3 days. I took 10m stings to my right foot my first year, dropped a broken frame from my first nuc and 7 stings on my right hand the third year when I swiped it across the top of the hive. Both times had lots swelling but by the end of the second day you could hardly tell I got stung. Last year I took 5 stings to the face including one in my lip that I thought was out but wasn't. My face was a mess. The next morning, I snuck into my cube at work. By lunch, nobody could tell that I had been stung.
I'm not one to run for medical help but it sounds like you need to see a Doctor.
Jim
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:55:45 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 04:44:20 pm »
I would skip the doctor and go to an ophthalmologist or an er if you can't find one.  The potential troubles from a bee sting to the eye can be nasty.  I can't see you and it's hard to tell exactly where the sting occurred over the internet.  However if you clearly don't have a sting to the skin around the eye then it needs to be looked at immediately.  You need to have a slit lamp exam and a dilated eye exam.  Most clinics won't be able to do this.  So you'll have to find an eye doctor or an er.  That's my two cents. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Ed

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 10:22:36 am »
I went to an eye doctor and all is well with my eye. He would have written a prescription for steroids if I'd have seen him in the first three days when I was more symptomatic but by the fourth day I was starting to recover. Even though there is still a little pain (it is minimal) I am no longer worried about it. Thanks for all your comments.

Offline Leather Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 10:44:24 am »
Good to hear Ed.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 09:23:12 pm »
Good to hear, get some duct tape for that hole in suit!  :-D There are some poeple that the bees just love to burrow into their clothing, don't know why either.
 I was helping a bud harvest some honey, he was fully suited and I was in shirt sleeves and a veil. He had to stop twice to clean the bees out of his veil, I think I had one sting on the hand.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 12:36:42 pm »
Glad it was good news. Ed.
Jijm
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything