Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Allan Buckley's packaging device  (Read 15463 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Allan Buckley's packaging device
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 12:17:42 pm »
Very nice video, sure made it all look so simple, thanks for sharing, beautiful days, of that love, health and peace.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 05:29:33 pm »
  I wonder if you did away with the bee go and put some   menthol in the smoker-and used the device to blow the smoke in--if it would perfome as well as with the bee go-wonder about weighing the packages - :)  RDY-B

Allen would have to comment about using menthol but he has toyed with the idea of a scale to weigh packages.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline mountainvalleybee

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 08:29:21 pm »
In response to rdy-b have not tried menthol or anything other than the three most widely used honeybee repellants and seems to work extremely well with all of them so far.
We are their Keepers, but not their Owners, for they are of Nature and No One owns Nature.(www.mountainvalleybees.com)

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 08:34:39 pm »
Also in response to rdy-b most commercial and sideline beekeepers who sell many packages can tell by how they feel or look when the bees are bounced down how many bees are in the package however I am looking at the possibility of using a specially designed digital weighing mechanism.
We are their Keepers, but not their Owners, for they are of Nature and No One owns Nature.(www.mountainvalleybees.com)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 08:45:36 pm »
Also in response to rdy-b most commercial and sideline beekeepers who sell many packages can tell by how they feel or look when the bees are bounced down how many bees are in the package however I am looking at the possibility of using a specially designed digital weighing mechanism.
sounds good unless your the one buying the package--last year there was numerous post about keepers getting 2 1/2 pounds of bees and paying for three-minor detail anyway-I thought up some ways of weighing -have you worked out any projected pricing-and is the blower available without the top-THNKS in advance--RDY-B

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 09:04:57 pm »
The reason some packages vary other than perhaps the person making up the packages could be that when bees are full of nectar they weigh much more when full of nectar than when not full and this sometimes leads to discrepancies in the filled package at point of acquisition versus point of delivery,even if you were to fill a package full of bees at the point of acquisition and they were full of nectar and weighed them when you closed the package if they sit around for a few hours then they will weigh much less after the moisture is given off by the bees during cooling,I have done this with a very good set of digital scales just to check the apparent final delivery weight. Also when shipping packages it is really better to err on the side of not filling them too full due to the fact that you could increase the losses during shipment if the package is too full.Also as far as weighing mechanisms I am currently in the process of patenting a specially designed scale for fitting directly to the device.As far as the availability of the blower separately each piece of equipment is separately under patent protection, the blower and the lid both separately and together as well as the process itself, the blower would be available as a replacement for one which had been previously bought and needed as replacement for some reason. 

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 09:59:50 pm »
  heres 11 pages about short packages many theories --take your pick--wouldn't want to be
  in those shoes- 8-) are you going to post the$$$ cost on your web page or is this strictly in the developmental stage at this point-you can pm me a base price if it makes you more comfortable --RDY-B

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239930&highlight=packages

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 11:02:07 pm »
Alright folks, thought I'd mention some of the applications of this device, just to get you thinkin' as to what it can do for you.

Yes, you can put packages together, that's the most obvious application.

Other applications:

Requeening a really big, mean colony, getting the numbers down to make it easier to find the queen, this could really come in handy on AHBs.

Honey harvesting

Splits, spring and pre-fall as well as congested hives

One of the really nice things about this device is that you aren't disturbing your other hives in the yard. When we put together packages last year using a large funnel, the bees were everywhere, got a lil crazy have to say.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 11:20:47 pm »
Not to mention reversing it to clear your honey supers, using it to fill a cup of bees for sugar/ether rolls or apitherapy (I've got a customer that buys 50 bees twice a month, this would make that easy!) clearing existing colonies from structures...the list goes on. Great job Alan!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 11:53:45 pm »
rdy-b, Alan said he will PM you about pricing.

...JP

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 10:31:01 pm »
JP, that was a good idea to use it on requeening a hive.   Great idea for the average bee keeper. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 10:48:37 pm »
Allen, if you want to run bees out of a hive and into a package, for whatever the reason, this gadget of Alan's is the way to go.

I first heard about it at Bud's and was very excited about its implications and just darn happy for Alan.

Alan knows bees that's for sure and his enthusiasm is contagious, not to mention he is a very generous bee keeper, willing to share his knowledge of many years of bee keeping with any and all bee keepers from newbies to experienced keepers.

...JP

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:10:14 pm by JP »

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 01:51:45 pm »
For all interested we should be starting production next week and you will be able to get pricing information then from me at my e-mail address which is mountainvalleybees@yahoo.com , I will not be giving any information related to pricing on the forum since John does not like for anyone to give such information in any of their posts.

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 01:59:16 pm »
As jp mentioned in a earlier post, this device has a host of other applications other than merely packaging bees, and for those interested in knowing the exact weight of the packages all you need to do is weigh the packages, then fill them and weigh them again and dump the excess bees back out before closing the package, we have done this many times and it is still so much faster than the older methods that they do not even hold a candle to this method for efficiency. The other uses are many such as obtaining bees for boosting weak nucs or colonies, management of colonies for swarm control by removing excess bees at an appropriate time, requeening of mean hives by getting most of the bees out of the way before trying to locate the queen,making up splits and divides without having to set up nucs by removing a bunch of frames,and many more which will be thought of as it becomes widely used,it can be used as an overall colony management tool.

• New Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 02:00:54 pm »
As an example of uses which I had not thought of look at hardwoods post earlier about obtaining bees for ether rolls and for apitherapy uses.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 07:06:18 pm »
To Weigh a Package
How about a stove pipe or piece of drier vent hose so the package box floats or suspends then hang the package off a scale when you get what you need pull and close the package

Tom
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

• New Bee
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 07:12:19 pm »
You could use a tension type scale as you suggest if you wanted, but I am working on a digital type scale which would mount directly to the device, but for the majority of uses most people could use a plain platform type digital scale and weigh the package after filling and then just dump out the excess bees.

• New Bee
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 06:41:18 pm »
Although I cannot give prices on this forum due to Johns Rules I can tell you that the individual systems materials cost is in the range of about 150 dollars each, and the pricing structure is developed from that including costs of production. If you need more specific information contact me at mountainvalleybees@yahoo.com or you can mail me at Alan Bukley P.O. box 653 Rainsville,Al. 35986. This device will pay itself off in about one to two hours use by the average beekeeper and evn quicker for someone who routinely secures extra bees from their colonies for whatever use.  
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:40:10 pm by mountainvalleybee »

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 12:50:37 am »
Bravo Alan, JP and Bud:

You all are really doing everything the right way, both with the product (which can be industry and backyard management changing) and how you handle yourselves here - I never had a doubt in either case.

To let you know Alan, I made this post the Post of the Day on my Twitter Feed which can be read by members and others searching beekeeping via their cellphones and other portable devices. The post stays there and just rotates as newer Tweets are added.

But the video is awesome, the product speaks for itself and no one better promotes it than you Alan. Great job all around!

Anyone using twitter, follow along at www.twitter.com/beemasterforum for all uodates, interesting posts, anything that is note worthy and inspiring will make it to the twitter feed.

Great Job Guys, again BRAVO!!!!!

John

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

• New Bee
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 07:45:16 pm »
Beekeepers, coming soon will be a Positive Hive Beetle Control Solution which will work in everything from small mating nucs to full size hives, but how rapidily this Invention becomes available depends on how well this first device sells. I cannot give away any details of this system yet but hope I am able to bring it to market rather quickly as I understand the need for Queens is an overiding concern for all of us.