Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving hives  (Read 4135 times)

Offline taztiger

• New Bee
Moving hives
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:42:55 pm »
G'day all
Just a quick question. I bought another hive two weeks ago from a farmer who lived only about 1km from my other hives in Sheffield. That being the case i brought the hive back to my home 20kms away and placed it in a position which is not ideal (not enough sun,fairly shady). How long do i need to wait before i can take the hive back to my other hives?
It's currently a sunny 8c today here in Tassie. The bees that are in the sun are out working bringing back some pollen from something.

cheers Taz

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: Moving hives
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:00:38 am »
Hi Taz,

Long enough for the current batch of foragers to croak it. Maybe a month and a half to 2...depending on how hard the whip is cracking on them.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:29:32 am »
Move them again after 3 days....
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:54:44 am »
What's the thinking on 3 days?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:15:59 am »
The time it takes bees to forget. Lock your bees in for 3 days. When released, they will immediately reorient.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 03:27:14 pm »
I need to move two hives about 120 yards away from their current location.  I was planning to move them today about 3 miles away, then move them back to the new / permanent location next week.  Could I, as an option, just lock them in the hive today, move them 120 yards away, then on Saturday reopen?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 04:09:39 pm »
You can move them tonight, then block the entrance, but not fully, and they will be ok. Lean a half sheet of plywood against the front, fill the entrance with grass, lay a leafy limb or two across the entrance, etc.

There may be some that return to the original site, but will find the hive within a couple days.

*Shel Silverstein*