Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Native Stingless New Home  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Bradless

• Brood
Native Stingless New Home
« on: July 06, 2015, 03:56:31 am »
Hi I am new to bees this weekend I cut down an old tree and after cut up one of the branches and I have realised it housed a native bee hive  :cry:  I have tried to protect the hive as much as I could but managed to cut in into 3 sections is there any way to rehouse them any help would be good please.

Offline weedyau

• New Bee
Re: Native Stingless New Home
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 04:38:10 am »
If you can, reassemble the tree and sit the same way up again. Cover the top with something to keep them warm and dry. There's a cold change coming so I wouldn't box them now. They have a better chance of surviving in their existing home.

Where are you?

Offline Bradless

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 02:52:33 am »
Thanks weedyau i am in brisbane near browns plains. i have mounted the three pieces to a plank of wood but i would like to set up something more permanent. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 12:35:08 pm »
I have tried to save hives from trees that were cut down several times. Most have had so much damage to the comb from that fall that they don't survive.
The last one, the owner said that the tree guy lowered it to the ground. Yea, he lowered it 6" and then dropped it the remaining 30'. The comb inside was so smashed together that I initially thought the comb was rotted wood. It wasn't until i touched it that I realized it was comb.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 08:51:14 am »
Sawdust - our stingless native bees are very small and don't build comb as such but rather sacks of honey that hang down from the roof.

Probably a bit too cold now to help but one of our club members who rears native bees uses styrene foam fruiterers boxes to give extra insulation if you have some handy

David L

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 12:39:16 pm »
Wombat,

Sounds like they have a much better chance to survive a fall . Good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Australian Beekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 10:27:29 pm »
Missed this. I am a native bee keeper at Greenbank down the road. How did these little guys go? The objective is to close up any gaps as quickly as possible because that is what will get them. They are surprisingly resilient if you can get those cracks sealed and can seal the ends of the log.

Mine are all very active even through the cold (and I keep hockingsi as well) so if you managed that in time I suspect they survived. Let me know if you need a hand boxing them up or positioning your hive (important with natives).

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 08:19:04 am »
Bought my first box of Carbonaria last week. I can't get over how small they and the box are so small after humping their big sisters around for 20 years. Hoping to pick up a swarm this season. :wink:

Good to be back on the forum

Slicko

Offline DAM79

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 07:00:56 pm »
You can purchase native bee boxes from Burnett beekeeping or easy to make, plans can be found on web. I'm planning on doing a split this weekend my neighbours hive is ready.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 06:01:46 am »
'bout time ya got back here. 4 years is inexcusable. Don't let it happen again. Now let's see 1000 posts to make up for it.   :cool:   :grin:

WELCOME BACK.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything