Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Muth Jars  (Read 19206 times)

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
Muth Jars
« on: March 11, 2010, 07:07:50 am »
Hello everyone!

I know this is a bit premature but I am thinking forward to my honey harvest.

My plan is to give away most of my honey to my clients at work as a little thank you.  I'm kind of a stickler for presentation and I want a classic looking jar and I've come across the Muth Jar's on Dadant's website:

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_60&products_id=667

I LOVE these jars, but my question is, has anyone bought these before and are there any pro's and con's I should know about?

Thank you!
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Muth Jars
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:38:04 am »
I love these jars with the corks in them. We have used them,only a few,but they are a nice antiquey looking jar. The corks fit well too. i have a few that are probablyy 30 years old used as a knick knack. Filled of course.
Brushy Mountain and Blue Sky bee supply also carry these.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:08:41 pm »
I love the looks of them and they work great unless your honey granulates.
With regular wide mouth jars even if it granulates you can still scoop some out for your tea or whatever but with the muth jars you are forced to heat it up and liquify it.
That may not be an issue for others. I just know because I bought some one time and it granulated pretty quickly and it was kind of a pain each time you wanted to use it.
Having said that, I still love the look of them and would use them myself if the honey was going to be used up in a timely fashion. I don't know how long the honey was sitting around for when I bought it that time.

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 04:01:47 pm »
They are cheaper if you buy them from Brushy Mountain

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:18:12 pm »
Those are beautiful!  How many oz. do they hold?

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:30:27 pm »
looks like 12 -8 oz. jars for $10.50     these would sell like hot cakes in metro NY!  Attach as label that expounds the virtues of natural/raw honey.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 06:42:14 pm »
I think Blue Sky has as small as 4 oz. if you want a craft item

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 11:37:07 pm »
I bought a carton of these to give as gifts. They are beautiful.

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:23:04 pm »
The ones from Brushy Mountain are 3 bucks more expensive!

I really just think these will be beautiful presentation items for my clients.

Is it thicker or thinner glass?  The thicker the better I'd imagine!
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 06:44:04 pm »
These jars are pretty thick,similar to an old medicine jar.

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 06:56:51 pm »
Awesome!  These are definately my choice!

Thanks everyone!
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 12:28:29 pm »
I'm going to approach this topic again with a new question regarding these jars.

They are decorative and awesome, but the price is almost double what I would pay for other jars...which is fine, I know I'm sacrificing price for quality and presentation.

My question is, with honey going at somewhere around 8 dollars a pound, these jars hold 8 oz.

Would I be justified to boost my price on the honey to compensate for the jars, and also do you think this is something that people would be willing to pay the extra expense for?
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 12:33:59 pm »
buy a few and do a test.  i am cheap and would not pay more for the jar if the honey is the same.  others are seduced by presentation.  where are you going to sell?  who will be buying? 
i know i could put urine in a fancy jar and sell it in town.  they'd think they got a treasure if it said "natural" on it.  not so much out here in the sticks  :-D

you are justified in charging what you can get!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 12:53:57 pm »
I would be selling "in town".

Its not like buying fancy packaging on a TV dinner...it can be used for other things.  What could you possibly use a used plastic honey bear for?
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 12:56:20 pm »
>>>>My plan is to give away most of my honey to my clients at work as a little thank you<<<<

>>>>Would I be justified to boost my price on the honey to compensate for the jars,<<<<

:?    :?    :?    :?     :?    :?    :?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 01:16:07 pm »
Well, the more I think about it, I don't have a TON of people give this stuff away to.

The rest of course I'd want to sell in order to fund equipment for my next year.
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 01:17:27 pm »
>>>>My plan is to give away most of my honey to my clients at work as a little thank you<<<<

>>>>Would I be justified to boost my price on the honey to compensate for the jars,<<<<

:?    :?    :?    :?     :?    :?    :?

Iddee, if I had enough clients to give away two hives worth of honey, I'd be a very very very very happy man and POSSIBLY the greatest salesmen to ever exist...no such luck.
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 02:04:26 pm »
Just pokin' a little fun at ya.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 02:25:02 pm »
you can get nice glass jars in bulk that are cheaper.  you can get smaller canning jars also.  the muth jars are great if they don't cut into your profit.  i reserve plastic honey bears for the little kids and travel  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 02:33:15 pm »
Kathy, I definately know I can get them cheaper, I just think these jars are WAY cooler looking.

I'm a city boy who buys pretty urine, so I guess maybe I just represent the average sucker around where I live haha.
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

anything