Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Falling tree just nearly took out 1/2 the apiary! (lots o'pix)  (Read 5913 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
I had finished taking a break from the garden, stepped outside to get back to it and.... crack, crack crack WHUMP!  Nothing quite as startling as the sound of a ~4'-5' diameter (BIG!) tree falling very close to you to get the heart pumping! 

Another 15' over and the tree literally could have taken out about 16 hives.  (right click & view image for full size images)

Thankfully, none of the hives were even slightly disturbed.  The fence didn't fare so well.

If you look closely you can see the Bengal kittah (also pictured above) making her way up the fallen tree here

The Pharaoh hound is curious as well ("oh look, downed fence = escape!")

Get the stick boy!

Ahh, Spring.. Cherry Blossoms, etc., in bloom... trees falling?   

Well... close call!  I'll be needing some new fencing but I guess I'll have some firewood.  :-D

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Falling tree just nearly took out 1/2 the apiary! (lots o'pix)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 01:13:36 am »
we had strong east wind today.  did you get that?  had to brick the tops of my hives, but no trees came down!

looks like the dog is happy.  something to attack  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 01:14:27 am »
Awesome, you were lucky.  Now go fix the fence.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 01:28:17 am »
we had strong east wind today.  did you get that?  had to brick the tops of my hives, but no trees came down!

looks like the dog is happy.  something to attack  :-D

We had a slight breeze but it wasn't significant.  That old tree was really leaning and on a fairly steep grade.  I'm guessing it finally got too top heavy.  Another tree on the other side of the wetlands went down earlier this year.

All the animals are happy.  Nothing so nice as a fallen tree!  Cats don't have to climb straight up, dog has an unlimited supply of sticks, sheep have easy access to tasty leaves...  :roll:  hahaha

Awesome, you were lucky.  Now go fix the fence.

Definitely could have been worse eh?   Oh, I forgot to mention.  I just moved the fencing (elec net) for the sheep first thing this morning (rotational grazing).   They had a little cove they ate/made in the blackberry thicket directly under that tree where they would often rest/shelter from rain.  Had they been there at the time... well, it would have been bad unless they reacted really quickly!

re: fence fixing ~> I'm anticipating some quality chain-saw time in the near future.  :-P
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 01:44:54 am by Dane Bramage »

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 01:47:19 am »
That must have made one heck of a WHUMP when it came down.  Glad to hear you, the house and your apiary all survived.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 02:05:06 am »
I am so glad it didn't hurt anything or anyONE! This includes animals!  Yes, they make quite a noise cracking & falling. Is is an old dead maple?  We had one do that very same thing couple of years ago, luckily it went into the middle of the pasture. Scaredthe bejeebers outa the neighbors!  isn't it funny with the animals, they are so nosy & excited with any changes!  Yes, you will have lots of firewood & enough stix to keep the dog happy for years!  Also good bonfire fodder!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 02:19:48 am »
That must have made one heck of a WHUMP when it came down.  Glad to hear you, the house and your apiary all survived.

SH

It was really, really loud!  Scary & bewildering ("where the heck was that?!")  Thanks for the kind thoughts slaphead!  The house would have been in really bad shape!  Of course, that tree would have had to fall up hill for that... I would have cut it down if it looke dto endanger the house.  as it is I'm looking at the maple that's there with suspect eyes...& it's not even leaning.  ;)

I am so glad it didn't hurt anything or anyONE! This includes animals!  Yes, they make quite a noise cracking & falling. Is is an old dead maple?  We had one do that very same thing couple of years ago, luckily it went into the middle of the pasture. Scaredthe bejeebers outa the neighbors!  isn't it funny with the animals, they are so nosy & excited with any changes!  Yes, you will have lots of firewood & enough stix to keep the dog happy for years!  Also good bonfire fodder!  J

Thx poka-bee.  We're all glad & relieved too (& giving thanks).   If anything kills the animals it's going to be ME!  I'm putting them all on notice as a matter of fact.  I need some discipline from these creatures!  ha!  ;)
It wasn't a maple, though it did prune a few branches off the maple next to it as it came down (& the cherry tree.. and the willow, lol).  I think it is some type of willow actually... it's a bit different than the others I have here (Salix × sepulcralis) but I believe it to be some sort of Salix (uncertain though).

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 08:14:55 am »
Is your dog a Viszla?  If so, that is a relatively rare breed in my experience.  Either way, good looking dog.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 10:09:11 am »
Bet your glad you weren't working the beeyard at the time,lucky!!

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 10:57:07 am »
Amazing luck if you ask me  :shock:

Dane, I "likes" your setup.  :-D

BH

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 11:25:28 am »
Very cool setup.

What are the hives comprised of?

Glad the tree did not harm the hives.

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 11:54:21 am »
Is your dog a Viszla?  If so, that is a relatively rare breed in my experience.  Either way, good looking dog.

Close guess & thanks Tyro.  He's an Egyptian Pharaoh Hound.

Bet your glad you weren't working the beeyard at the time,lucky!!

I work that row of terrace hives from behind.. so I would have been Ok, as it turned out but - you're right! - I was startled enough as close as I was.  :shock:

Thx BeeHopper!

Very cool setup.

What are the hives comprised of?

Glad the tree did not harm the hives.

Thx Ms DVD.  The hives (bodies, SBBs, ventilated inner covers) are pine with cedar lids.  All woodenware has been hot dipped in a mixture of palm wax and pine rosin.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 01:28:27 pm »
I like how esthetically pleasing they look.  Very very cool :mrgreen:

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 04:37:09 pm »
I just shared your photos with my husband and we could not believe how lucky you were with this.  Just love your hive setup, so neat and orderly sitting on the concrete stones.  Also enjoyed the animals being so curious and adorable. 

Count your lucky stars for this Dane.  I am sure you did

Annette

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 07:16:00 pm »
Sorry about the tree. Glad one one got hurt. Looks like you've got a bit of work to do. If nothing else, you'll have some fire wood for this winter.  :roll:

By the way, nice looking dog. Don't see Pharaoh Hounds very often.

Regards,
Tucker
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 10:33:20 pm »
I had to move some of my hives for the same reason. My neighbor has a large split hackberry that squeeks and creaks without the slightest breeze...and maple that leans over my fence line. A few other trees have already fell on the fence between us.

You were extremely lucky...and the bees too!

I love the pictures of your Bengal....and the Pharoah hound....very nice!

Brenda 

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 11:32:15 pm »
Dane,

I've considered making something like those vented inner covers.  Do you leave them on in winter or just remove them?  I just shift my boxes a bit to creat ventilation in summer, do you think this idea works better than that?  It sure looks nicer!!!

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 11:58:48 am »
Thanks Ms. DVD.  I agree... I really like the look of natural woods (especially on guitars eh?  ;)).   I also wanted to have an organic/100% non-toxic solution for wood preservation.   Hot wax (palm) + rosin dipping seems an effective solution.   I wish I could afford to hot-dip them in beeswax + propolis!  8-)

Thx Annette!  Yes, it sort of seems unnatural to be thankful for a big tree falling but, knowing the damage it could have caused, that was the first thought!

Thx Tucker.  :) I'm really happy with my Pharaoh Hound.   That tree will definitely produce a few cords for the woodstove!  I will be curious to see how it burns (I'm still unsure what type of willow it is).   I'm going to keep it covered (protected from rains) just in case it's too wet/soft.

Thx Brenda.  I've a pair of Bengals actually... I wanted strawberries, but these two appeared instead
   ;)  Good call on moving your hives.  I'm now thinking to do some more serious pruning of the maple that is near mine.

Homer ~> I like these ventilated inner covers and use them all year round.  Actually the idea/design for them came from this site where they are called an all season inner cover.

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 10:02:17 am »
Dane could you send me some measurement's on that inner cover please.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 03:18:32 pm »
They are great covers and that is all that I use on my hives. It totally stopped the bearding in the summer, plus gave them an upper entrance.

anything