Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Oregon "urban" Beekeeper  (Read 2167 times)

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
New Oregon "urban" Beekeeper
« on: January 11, 2009, 02:15:44 pm »
Hello Beekeepers,

This seems like an active on line community.  I look forward to reading of your experience and helping if and when I can.

I really enjoy the outdoors and my favorites include archery elk hunting, and fishing from my driftboat for salmon and steelhead.  I have 10 hives now and keep 6 off site.  It seemed like last year a few nukes and 2 full strength hives were a little much for the neighbors. 

I am interested in doing small scale pollination and have about 20 colonies.  I really enjoy working the bees but they seem to take up a bit of productive time.  Maybe I can look to become more efficient as I gain experience. 

As far as my IPM strategy, I am looking to use more biological control methods, mainly genetics, small cell, screened bottom boards, powdered sugar, oxalic acid and no antibiotics.  At this time, I believe antibiotics are far too disruptive to the probiotics of the bee.  I am looking for survivor stock resistant to nosema.

BTW does anyone know where you can get small cell deep plastic foundation or know of someone with molds?

Thank you,

Kevin Beckman

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: New Oregon "urban" Beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 02:41:07 pm »
Kevin, welcome to our forum, so glad that you have found us.  So, you had some problems with some neighbours and the bees, that is a bummer.  Tell us about it one time.  You will find this forum to be a very friendly and great place to spend time, you can tell your stories, tales, experiences, make new friends.  You can give us advice and we can give you advice, we all need to learn.  Stick around, we love new members.  Have a wonderful and awesome day, life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:49:19 pm »
Hello and Welcome Kevin
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask.
Johnny

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:18:52 pm »
>BTW does anyone know where you can get small cell deep plastic foundation or know of someone with molds?

Mann Lake PF100s are small cell deep plastic frames with foundation in 4.95mm cell size.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 03:48:26 pm »
Thank you much Michael Bush!  I am encouraged with the potential hygienic gains from the use of smaller sized foundation.  Just maybe the consistent size of foundation throws off the bee somehow.  I realize now though that natural broodcomb may have an advantage to small cell but what could beat the durability of the PF105?  I like the black for egg vis.  ;)

I found your site over a year ago and ate it up.  Just what I, a new bee keeper, was looking for. 

Thank you,

Kevin Beckman