Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees and Diversity the natural way KTBH  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Stlnifr

• House Bee
Bees and Diversity the natural way KTBH
« on: September 30, 2010, 07:08:20 pm »
If my plans are to raise feral survivor bees, to maintain diversity should I also raise maybe a hive of Carnolians.

That way they may be a nice variety of drones for virgin queens.

But maybe that may not be a good idea either if my goals are to maintain ferals. I would be hybridizing what I have.

Or if I could possible get ferals from another location say 5 or ten miles apart would that be enough diversity or would they still be closely related or it wouldn't matter. These may not be feral bees there would be no way I could know for sure. They could be a swarm form a local bee keeper.

I only know of one actual bee tree that has had an active hive in it for at least 5 years. So I am calling these feral survivor bees.
Jesus Christ--The reason for the season!

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Bees and Diversity the natural way KTBH
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 08:38:25 pm »
Although I use the term often, it's difficult to label any colony as "feral". I've done removals where the people swear that the bees have been there 10 years only to find (what looks like to me anyway) that the bees have absconded repeatedly only to have the comb taken over by newer swarms. There are only a few that had adequate comb and stored resources for me to consider them feral. The best I can say is just keep trying for that pot of gold.

Out of the (hopefully) many "feral" colonies you may collect you can start to select for desired traits.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything