Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Books  (Read 4538 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Books
« on: May 06, 2007, 10:04:17 pm »
I want to buy some bee books, any suggestions?
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline soilserf40

• New Bee
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 10:14:21 pm »
I started out with "Beekeeping for Dummies" by Howland Blackiston

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 10:16:25 pm »
I should have stated that is the only book that I have. I have read it from cover to cover.
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 10:56:44 pm »
beekeeping for Dummies
The hive and the Honey Bee

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 12:24:54 am »
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees

And it comes at a great price.

Free

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 12:59:07 am »
For getting started and understanding the hive through the year,
I like

**Kim Flottum's book: The Backyard Beekeeper - good pictures, easy to read, simple explanations and I like
**Hive Management by Richard Bonney

Linda T in N Georgia

Offline DavePaulson

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 10:12:09 am »
I'll second The Backyard Beekeeper and Beekeeping for Dummies. They are both excellent books. I wanted books with lots af pics for my son who had never seen the inside of a hive. I was pleased with the content of both books.

Dave

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 11:39:47 pm »

Once you get past the beginner stage, The How To Do It Book of Beekeeping by RIchard Taylor is great.  So is Bush beekeeping on line.

I also have 2 copies of ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture: The 1996 edition and the 1908 edition which was my grandfather's.  Even though the focus is the two editions are different, it is amazing how the practical "how to do it" knowledge is the same.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 12:21:29 am »
There are several classics on my web site as well as my writing.  Huber's New Observations on the Natural History of Bees, Jay Smith's Better Queens, and Queen Rearing Simplified.  The Miller queen rearing method.  G.M. Doolittle's Scientific Queen Rearing.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 10:45:33 am »
All of the books mentioned are good. MB's site is useful, which is more valuable to a newbie. When you want to know HOW to do something, w/ an explanation of why, go to bushfarms. I keep reading certain sections again and again as his simple sentences have a lot more info than you first realize. With time, his info becomes engrained as you recall certain sentences when you are at the hive, and you'll have that "Ahhahh" moment! The other source I have been getting lots of practical info is from ABJ contributor, Randy Oliver. Many of Walt Wrights articles available on Beesource are another good source.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 12:53:32 pm »
Like everyone else has said here, Michael Bush's website is priceless (literally lol).  The book that I've relied on the most has been ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture.  It's an encyclopedia pertaining to the scientific and practical culture of honey bees (stole that line from the book).  I have the 40th edition which looks like an old bible but I guess the 41st edition was just released and has color photos and over 1000 pages.  You can read it cover to cover, but it's meant to be a reference guide.  Of all the beekeeping books I have, this is the one I use the most.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 02:05:10 pm »
I ditto everything everyone has said about Michael Bush's site - I go there for information about so many things.  And I DO enjoy the pictures.

I do wish, Michael, that it had a search feature - I sometimes want a specific something addressed and can't find it or search through lots of your well-addressed topics in an effort to find it - of course I'm learning a lot along the way, but still have a search feature wish.  You should publish your writings in a book! (with an index  :-D)

Linda T in Atlanta
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 04:03:33 pm by tillie »

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 10:08:04 pm »
Thanks for all the recommendations. I do frequently visit Michael Bush's site and have read every word. I don't always have access to my computer and would like to have some good printed material with lots of pictures. The grandkids love the pictures! I would also like to subscribe to a magazine. I understand there are two to pick from......any recommendations? Thanks again, Steve

Offline skullring

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 11:36:56 pm »
The Joys of Beekeeping by Richard Taylor.  Not so much a how to book but more of the love of beekeeping.
Be like your ancestors or be different.  It doesn't matter.

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 11:09:05 am »
I love that Richard Taylor book!

Have any of you guys read "The Queen and I" by Ed Weiss?  And if so, what'd you think?

Mark

Offline TigerLily

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 08:27:58 pm »
Another good book is All About Bees, Beekeeping, and Honey by Walter L. Gojmerac. It is a little outdated, though.
"It is the melancholy face that gets stung by the bee”

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 11:07:23 pm »
>I do wish, Michael, that it had a search feature

Go to www.google.com
Click on "Advanced Search"
Click on the box after "return results from the site or domain" and type in www.bushfarms.com
Go to the "Find results" section and put in your search criteria.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 11:18:53 pm »
Thank you, Michael, now I'm an even happier camper.

Linda T

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 09:41:12 am »
Good thread, thanks for it -  I don't want to buy every book out there but do like a few around for reference and enjoyment. 

For Reference - I started with "Bee Keeping for Dummies" because I wanted Simple to begin with - and this book seems to be staight forward and easy to read. 

For a great read, I'd like to recommend "Bees in the Gardern and Honey in the Larder" by Mary Louise Coleman. Published in 1938/39.   I stumbled accross this book on vacation in Maine a few years back and fell in love with it and bee keeping.   How to descibe it..  its a simple, practical, and poetic record of beekeeping...  I hope many of you have read it or will search it out, so I'm going to go as far as quoting the first paragraph of the preface to further entice you. 

Namaste
Bee1

Preface
May This book persuade you to sing the song of bees and flowers, of herbs and honey and spice; to have an ever-fruitful orchard, to increase the blossoms of your garden a thousandfold, and to stock your larder so well that you fear neither three-day blizzards nor the caustic comment of the most fastidious epicure. ...

Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 07:13:43 pm »
Oh, Bee1, I need that book!  It sounds lovely!

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 08:49:08 am »
reinbeau - I think you'll like it.  Good luck finding a copy.

Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 11:19:03 pm »
I found it!  It should be here within a week  :-D

anything