Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swiffer Sheets---SHB  (Read 4874 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Swiffer Sheets---SHB
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:07:05 pm »
They trap and kill a few bees but I see it as a trade off that has to be done. These were in two different nucs for 11 days. Two on left in one nuc and the one on the right in the other. Place them on top of the brood chamber frames along the frame rest. I half a plain unscented knock off sheet.
John 3:16

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Swiffer Sheets---SHB
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 08:08:10 pm »
What exactly do they do and how do they work?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 08:15:05 pm »
neat idea. where you get that from. is it the static cling that catches them or do they get tangled in it.

john

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 09:41:04 pm »
The bees fray the micro fiber cloth trying to remove it. You place the plain, unscented cloth on top of the brood frames where the bee corral the shb. The corners on the frame rest works good. The shb's legs get entangled in the cloth. These were in 11 days. It traps a few bees but I will take the trade off.

You can buy the no-name swiffers from a dollar store. The chain dollar tree does not carry them in some store but they can be ordered on line and ship to the store. A pack of 20 is $1. Only draw back is you have to order 24 boxes from on line. But a large very cheap supply.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 09:46:14 pm »
The beetles are supposed to get tangled in the fibers.
I tried putting them in my dry oil trays. They were ones out of the dryer. The beetles walked all over them. Only had a couple get trapped.
I have not tried putting them in the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 09:59:28 pm »
The beetles are supposed to get tangled in the fibers.
I tried putting them in my dry oil trays. They were ones out of the dryer. The beetles walked all over them. Only had a couple get trapped.
I have not tried putting them in the hive.
Jim

The bees do not access the oil tray to fray the cloths. As you can see in the pic the bees fray the sheets. That is the key.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 10:01:05 pm »
neat idea. where you get that from. is it the static cling that catches them or do they get tangled in it.

john

It has been floating around on the web a while. I tried it a few weeks ago after I had an abscond due to shb. This is the second time I tried it. The first also had plenty trapped. I am a believer, of course the pic is the proof in the pudding...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 10:14:22 pm »
Thanks sc. I figured they were frayed up from the dryer but I guess not. I will have to try that.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 10:17:22 pm »
Thanks sc. I figured they were frayed up from the dryer but I guess not. I will have to try that.
Jim

And I imagine the Ms sawduster also uses scented sheets...;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:40:19 pm by sc-bee »

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 11:55:12 pm »
I am using them and they do indeed work
Neill

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 12:21:21 am »
There was talk about them a couple of years ago.  It works for some pretty good and others no so much? Lots have had good luck, I put mine on top of the supers.  Also got them a dollar store. 

Good luck to all

Joe D

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 02:05:26 pm »
Is that a dryer sheet or swiffer  dust broom replacement ?

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 10:04:10 am »
I WONDER IF YOU CAN USE A SMALL WIRE BRUSH TO ROUGH UP THE MICRO FIBERS?

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 02:41:52 pm »
Just tried this for SHB control, only had one sheet so it got cut in half and tossed in two hives for a test last week. I placed the half sheet on top of the frames at the corners of the hives and left them alone. After about ten days I checked the 1/2 swiffer sheets in the hives and counted a good 30 dead SHBs on each sheet which is a higher kill rate than I get with Beetle Blaster oil traps. Looks like it is working great for SHB control in my two hives and will be part of my pest management from now on.
  Sorry no pictures of the swiffers with the beetle kill, didn't have a camera when I hit the yard today.
Thanks for the tip sc-bee

anything