Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cell tower question  (Read 5053 times)

Offline Damonh

• New Bee
Cell tower question
« on: July 09, 2009, 11:55:51 am »
I have a pollination contract, and must place my bees at the base of a cell tower. I know this is a dumb question but is there any documented harm to honey bees from cell towers? Just do not want to put my bees in harm's way.
Thanx,
Damon

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
Re: Cell tower question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:47:35 pm »
About as much harm as you using a cell phone. no your not going to harm your bees.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:56:15 pm »
I think bees are constantly in harms way, but locating them near a cell tower won't make it any worse!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:41:51 pm »
Only if the tower falls on them  :evil: :-D!
John 3:16

Offline Damonh

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:48:00 am »
Thanx all for the replies. That is what I thought but just wanted to bee sure.
I love this board....I was expecting all sorts of smart answers.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:57:14 am »
Thanx all for the replies. That is what I thought but just wanted to bee sure.
I love this board....I was expecting all sorts of smart answers.

There is one BIG difference between smart, and smart A$$.

I am my own biggest critic!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 11:01:18 am »
hang around.  you will very often get both! 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 11:20:58 am »
hang around.  you will very often get both! 

Ah how right you are. forums are very usefull, for years I have been active in many different forums on the internet, as I usually participate in forums of many of the different interest that I have. Also anytime I become interested in any topic or item, or have a question about anything, I google for a forum on the topic. Some I become quite active in, and some I just bookmark for future (I must have at least a hundred forums bookmarked) use, when and if a question on the topic arises. 
The one thing that dissapoints me the most about forums, is that too many members do not speakout. When I ask a question, I want a lot of different answers, to get different ideas, and slants on the subject matter. Some of the most outspoken (not many but a few) persons on a forum sometimes are incorrect, and not the expert opinion you are looking for. you want many answers, so you can get the different ideas and slants, and make your choice as to what you want to believe. Unless you are an expert yourself, you do not know which answer is correct and which is not, and if you already knew, you would not be asking the question.  And then there are the notoious individuals that want to make a smart a$$ answer, or change the subject.

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 11:34:42 am »
DamonH, I'd love to give a 'smart' answer but I understand perfectly that you're not looking for that type of traffic, and I can defintely respect that.  

I actually thought someone would reply with some info regarding the speculation a couple years ago when CCD was initially identified.  Of course it was all boulderdash, but early on there was a lot of questioning from teh press and media asking if cell phone signals or cell towers had any negative impacts on honeybees.  I beleive there may some research from early on in that window to eliminate this speculation, but I don't know where any of it is located.  Perhaps if this ever did make it past the 'speculation' phases, someone here can weigh in with the location of those studies.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 02:45:01 pm »
When I first found the Beemaster forum every thing was just right and then a few people started with there smart a-- come back's and I new I was part of the group and fitted in I think it is a way to tell you your part of the gang :-D :-D :cheer: :piano:

this is the first time Robo gave me a little dig and I've felt at home ever since

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,16888.msg123776.html#msg123776
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 04:48:35 pm »
Cell phones or cell towers have no impact on bees people or any living thing. there was a bogus study out a few years ago and that was debunked. much of this is based on the same junk science of the al gore crowd. No real science no real proof just alot of false ideas acepted as facts and scientist bought off with grant money. Much like doctors working for big tabbaco doing studies on the healthy aspects of smoking.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 09:37:02 pm »
>And then there are the notoious individuals that want to make a smart a$$ answer :-P :devilbanana:

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 08:40:00 am »
>And then there are the notoious individuals that want to make a smart a$$ answer :-P :devilbanana:
Yes there is a few.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 10:09:17 am »
When I first found the Beemaster forum every thing was just right and then a few people started with there smart a-- come back's and I new I was part of the group and fitted in I think it is a way to tell you your part of the gang :-D :-D :cheer: :piano:

this is the first time Robo gave me a little dig and I've felt at home ever since

Hello Irwin, I think you misunderstood my comment, I was not refering to any specific person, or comment, but only answering, other posts, where reference was made concerning "smart answers".
 What disgust me, is when you are seriously seeking information, and truely want to learn, or be informed, and someone puts in an unnesesary dig, and hijacks the topic, by changing the line of discussion.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 11:03:03 am »
and hijacks the topic, by changing the line of discussion.

Good done, thats definately not happening here!!  :-D :-D :fishhit:

I think others have summed it up very well....much speculations, wild accusations bout cell towers, but nothing proven or even well founded.  But if you are worried you can make little tinfoil hats for your bees, that should help.  There are even "suppliments" that you can buy from Ebay that will supposedly help protect you from electromagnetic radiations (fashioned from the oil of snake!).

Sorta like CWD in general.  Much speculated, little proven.

Rick
Rick

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 11:04:50 am »

Hello Irwin, I think you misunderstood my comment, I was not refering to any specific person, or comment, but only answering, other posts, where reference was made concerning "smart answers".
 What disgust me, is when you are seriously seeking information, and truely want to learn, or be informed, and someone puts in an unnesesary dig, and hijacks the topic, by changing the line of discussion.
No I didn't misunderstand you at all :) All I was trying to say was that roll with the good times and shed off the bad and enjoy the Beemaster's forum. I don't care where you go there will always be a problem maker just ignore them. Life is to short to get upset over such a small thing. :-D

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 12:36:27 pm »
Cell Phone Towers---- Cell Phones :-D

At the State meeting last year we were told the rumors were based on one study based overseas where cell phones were placed inside the hives.

And of course it was proven to beeeee hogwash!!!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 08:18:34 pm »
Actually it was not cell phones, it was wireless phones and they were put directly in the hive.  So don't put wireless phones in your hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 08:57:11 pm »
>Actually it was not cell phones, it was wireless phones and they were put directly in the hive.

The battery always dead on mine. I guess that is a wirless phone I'm thinking of  :).

Offline DavidJ

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 09:03:52 pm »
hi there,

I am a radio frequency engineer and audit cell towers for a living. Whether the radiation does any harm to humans or bees I don't know. But, directly underneath the tower there is very little if any radiation.

David