Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Here is the deal  (Read 4570 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Here is the deal
« on: September 30, 2008, 04:14:37 pm »
If you have lived where your are for a year or more.
Look at your surrounding, one to one and one/half mile's from your bee yard all around.
If you don't know what bees like, some book work is in order.
Example, I have numerous tulip popular and wild black berries all around me. as far as need be.
Father than my bees go. What He/She needs to do is try to do a study on the amount of nectar
producing plants/shrubs/trees one has in their area. If you don't have enough for more than  X number of colonies then you will have to plant some crop/s if you plan to have more than X number of colonies in that given area.
Although the Tulip Popular trees are plentiful where I am, I would not try to keep more than 25 colonies. If I could even handle that many.
If one has enough ground to plant some veggies. These can be good to have between June and September, when there is a darth in my area. I do have Kudzu and wisteria with in one and 2 miles.
The bees will travel farther than a mile when need be.
Winter squash
summer squash
Pumpkins
cukes
melons
buckwheet
any clovers.
Clovers make good winter cover crops and can be turned under in spring after blooming.
All peas and beans are good.  Butter/Lima bean honey has a green tint.
Clovers, beans and peas also add nitrogen to the soil.
Don't over stock your area with colonies.
Again, I hope this helps some one, just one person will do.
doak

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: Here is the deal
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:33:04 pm »
I found a website that has most every seed that we talk about here on the forums from peas to buckwheat and also all the clovers. It also has a pretty extensive veggie and flower list. maybe this can help someone too

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/Home.aspx

Keith

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:30:51 pm »
Any one notice I have been promoted to field Bee?

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:04:10 pm »
Any one notice I have been promoted to field Bee?

Better look out I think the next step turns you into a queen :-D

Keith

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 06:26:51 pm »
I want to be promoted!

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 09:21:04 pm »
I cannot seem to find enough to say that is relevant to advance.  It seems that when all one has is questions, giving answers to others is a rare occurrence.
Brian

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 10:23:02 pm »
 :?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 05:43:09 pm »
Brian, you post frequently and have a fair number.  Your posts are important, when I see you avitar name, I recognize you.  Every post here is important, never, ever discount the value of a post, whether it be a question, answer, trivia, all is important and makes this forum go around.  What if everyone didn't post a post, where would our forum be?  Smiling, keep posting, even if it is only a question or even just a symbol, all is good.  Have a great life, great day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 10:43:56 pm »
I've changed a little focus on my gardening (seed) cultivating.  I let some of the off shoots of the vegetables go to seed this fall and then did what my grandmother used to do....Tie a paper or plastic sack over the plant once the seed pods are formed and then pull the plant and hang it upside down in the shed.  If I plant corn it only takes 1 ear to provide the seed necessary for the next year.  Seeds from the Halloween pumpkin, etc.  You can even do the same thing with your field seed needs and collect enough clover, vetch, grass, etc, seeds to reseed a section of your pasture every year.  Also the seeds you don't use for growing can be feed to t he livestock as grain.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything