Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fly eaters  (Read 4427 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Fly eaters
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:36:11 pm »
So what is a good bird or breed of chicken that likes flies? If these chickens ate the flies they would really be fat. But they don't even look at them.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Fly eaters
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 02:09:03 am »
Mine try to catch em but the flies are too fast.  The Chic will go through your horse/cow poo & eat all the larva thus reducing the total fly population.  Guinea can catch flies & other bugs, also good for ticks! :-D
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 08:49:57 am »
I have some  Lavender Guinea on order. The hatch date is July 16th.

Also getting,
 25 Pullet Chicks
These are at least three different breeds of pullet chicks which gives different colors of hens & eggs. Sexing Accuracy: 90%

These will be coming from Estes Hatchery in Springfield, MO

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 08:59:32 am »
Jerry, you have caught the chickenyard fever, now look how many fowls you are going to have at your place, hee, hee.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:32:14 am »
JM I got my chicks from Estes too, very happy w them.  The ameracaunas have the fluffiest faces I have ever seen!  One is a buff w/lght grey edges on neck feathers & mixed in the tail & wings!  The sex links are very pretty, the black in em shimmers w blue & green like a mallards head.  The Danish brn leghorns are as described, very flighty but the 1st to come running for treats.  There was one that was a mistake I think, as a chick she was almost solid brown, now I think she looks like a partridge rock.  Ginny is a lavender, what feathers are left!  They say 90%..got 25 so still waiting to see which are the 2.5.. :shock:  Shouldn't the roosters start that sickly crowing soon? Takes about a day of hearing the weird noises to realize the roosters are practicing!!  ;)I don't see any spur buds yet either, none really act different, the hens take turns being the bossy ones, running to each other all puffed up for the face off, then going off to roll in the dust together.  You must post pics of your babies when you get em!!  Jody

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 11:33:21 am »
I got Rhode Island Reds right now. At about eight weeks I heard one try to crow. Just that one time.

Don't know about pix. I don't have a camera, use my daughters. Perhaps I can talk her into taking some pictures.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 09:32:49 pm »
So these Guineas can run around loose like the chickens right?

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 10:02:37 pm »
Yes, after they realize they live there.  If you are getting keets w/your chix they will probably run together, although the guinea roam further. Ginny went all over the yard, back pasture & front pasture usually many times a day  They don't miss a thing either, they notice everything going on.  They are also VERY loud & amazingly strong when handled! Also decent flyers  ;)  Jody