Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Re: New member of the farm.
« Last post by 220 on Today at 01:49:03 AM »
We should have a few new additions starting in the next week, angus cows are due to start calving from the 1st July and dorper ewes should start lambing around 15th.
Spent 5hrs yesterday looking for 12 heifers we have kept as replacements, they weren't in the paddock they should have been. Quick check revealed a tree over the boundary fence and they had decided to go for a walk. Not a problem normally but the fence that was down borders state forest that borders more state forest and national park. Over 2 million acres for them to walk through without a fence.
Lucky they had kept pretty well to the forestry tracks so I managed to track them for over 5 miles before locating them. I don't know how far they had gone as I last saw them Sunday so they could have been out for nearly 3 days and  when I found them they were actually heading back in the direction of home.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: First removal today
« Last post by sawdstmakr on Today at 12:07:02 AM »
Congratulations Capt. sounds like you had a good time.
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / Re: The Lone Ranger and Tonto
« Last post by sawdstmakr on Today at 12:02:05 AM »
Good one.  :grin: :grin:
What Michael said.
Bees build queen cups all the time and they sit empty.
Jim
I think Jim thinks it was a paid killer, not a serial killer. It probably wasn't his first, and won't be his last, but paid and serial are two different killers, even tho they both kill several.
That is what I was saying.
Jim
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Honeybees and Sunflowers
« Last post by sawdstmakr on June 28, 2017, 11:44:08 PM »
Thanks Bill.
We have sunflowers here in my wife's garden. One is about 11" in diameter. I have not seen any bees on it.
Jim
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: When are hivelocks worthwhile?
« Last post by Jim 134 on June 28, 2017, 10:41:43 PM »
In QLD Emlocks (complete with strap) can be purchased for $9.20 if you shop around, and it is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Only this year I was asked to pick up a hive that had blown over in heavy wind (owner absent on holidays) and as there was no strap it had come apart.

I agree with Jim in that it is just an included cost in setting up a hive.

Kev

I do know beekeepers around here that cannot get to that bee hives in the winter time. If a Hive Falls over without a ratchet strap. Hive open will up and it will die. 95% of the time .. If it does have a ratchet strap. It will survive the fall 95%.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Honeybees and Sunflowers
« Last post by tycrnp on June 28, 2017, 10:27:27 PM »
I too am in the southeast USA, have sunflowers,  and the bees ignore them. But I like them!
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / Re: Iddee, where are you?
« Last post by tycrnp on June 28, 2017, 10:15:27 PM »
Iddee,
I too  am late hearing this tragic news.   My sincere condolences and prayers.
I enjoyed the dichotomy of veil/yellow suit/gloves vs. sandals/bare feet.   :smile:

Ditto! Lol!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10