Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Office Plant  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Office Plant
« on: November 20, 2006, 10:54:04 pm »
We have this plant in the office -- actually a small tree.  We've always thought it was a palm plant, and it's always just been there.  Last Friday it bloomed.  This morning the secretary was burning a scented candle, and the aroma got pretty strong, so she blew it out.  The fragrance grew throughout the day until mid-afternoon, and it was very overpowering, causing her eyes to tun red and her sinuses to plug up.  We tracked it down and realized it was the bloom on the plant.  The one bloom was like spring hyacinth, but much, much stronger.

This plant has never bloomed in anyone's memory.  I've been in this office for 9 years, and I've never seen it bloom; the others have been there longer.  Jack looked at me accusingly and said, "well, maybe a bee got in here SOMEHOW and sent it into flowering mode."  (I explained it doesn't work that way.)  But nobody knows why it chose to bloom now.

Below are pictures of the plant and the flower.  Can anyone identify it?

-- Kris

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Office Plant
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 01:07:10 am »
Absolute identification.  This plant is known in lay terms as a "corn plant" right off the top of my head I cannot remember the latin name.  I have an article on this plant that I pulled out of a plant magazine one time.  My sister had this plant and she had it for many many many years, and one time it bloomed.  Like you said, the fragrance was intoxicating.  It perfumed her house for quite a long time, if I remember correctly, the fragrance was more strong at night.  When I saw the article in the magazine about the corn plant, I saved it and showed her.  I will reread about this plant tomorrow and post a little more information about the latin name, etc.  It is very rare that this plant blooms or what triggers the bloom to be born.  But when it does, man does it!!!!  Check out tomorrow morning, I will hopefully get a chance to resurrect this article on your pretty house plant.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 07:41:44 am »
Thank you for the info!!!

-- Kris

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:26:17 am »
Kris, OK got the article, here goes.  The plant is indeed call the corn plant, mass cane (Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana'.  The article goes on to say that there is no guarantee that it will ever bloom again, or when.  This plant is propogated by air layering, which is an interesting adventure.  Look up on the net about this plant it you want, you may find interesting info on your corn plant.  Great day. Cindi.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything