Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pulled the HSC today  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Pulled the HSC today
« on: August 06, 2008, 10:26:41 pm »
I have a hive with a second deep full of HSC that the bees simply would not use.  THey would beard heavily like they were crowded, but they had this entire deep to run around in.  I think it might be due the presenece of dirt in the cells from flood waters.  I tried to clean it all out, but I had a terrible time of it.  I think boiling it in a large vessel might be required.  In any event, I decided that this HSC stuff is best to use with packages and will cut it down to medium and use it in the spring with a package swarm (I can cut it down and use it can't I?).  I put a medium on the hive with starter strips so that I now have a very full deep with an empty medium. I am hopeful that the bees will have enough time to draw it out and fill it with honey for the winter.  So, do I start feeding now or wait until later in the fall to see how they have done?  I would think that that they are not likely to get honey bound any time soon in that they first must draw out ten frames of natural cell and then fill it up. Of course, I could be wrong (as I often am with the bees).  Any thoughts?
Brian

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Pulled the HSC today
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:37:38 am »
If they have a good flow on it is best to let them work that.  I would start feeding in a month and feed until the medium was full of winter stores or until a freeze lasts 2 or more days.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Pulled the HSC today
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:10:13 pm »
The only thing bees seem like less than plastic is dirty plastic.  Yes, I'd boil it out in soapy water and rub the outside with some beeswax after it's rinsed and dried.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin