Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are you the 1st generation?  (Read 9878 times)

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Are you the 1st generation?
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 08:23:01 pm »
1st generation for me.
 My wife and daughter are scare of bee!!!!!!

Johnny

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 08:45:08 pm »
3rd Generation here my grandpa had bees.  My dad kinda got wrangled into helping him.  I really don't think my dad enjoyed it as much as me or my grandpa as he won't help me now.  My grandpa had a way of wanting to rob at the wrong times which leads to my dad's distaste with beekeeping.  But at one time me and my dad helped my grandpa keep around 30 hives or so.  Fun fun times.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 10:47:21 pm »
1st.....that I know of, but hopefully not the last.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 10:57:54 pm »
Keeping bees seems fitting to my family as they think I'm weird anyway. Been turning over rocks looking for bugs since a kid. I was the one that brought home the aligators, snakes, mud puppies, snapping turtles, tarantulas, etc...

Why not bees?

Only one in my family crazy enough I guess.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 11:51:29 pm »
1st generation here. My Mom's philosophy is that insects, bugs, and snakes are to be avoided at all costs. :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 11:53:59 pm »
1st generation here. My Mom's philosophy is that insects, bugs, and snakes are to be avoided at all costs. :-D

Good thing for you that your Daddy's girl!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 12:29:11 am »
First generation here too. My daughter is 4 & is very interested and comes with me to the hives almost always.  It will be interesting to see if she still is into it when she grows up!  My husband asks lots of questions & likes to watch from a far, but I can't convince him to get a veil & get up close.

I was always the weird one as a kid too- keeping spiders in jars to see what kind of web they would make & having frogs for pets too.  I don't think anyone in my family was too suprised when they heard I was going to have bees.   :roll:  People that don't know me & find out I have bees are usually shocked. First they assume that it is my husband's hobby. I guess I don't look the "type" ...not sure what that looks like anyway!

So far it has been great.  I plan to be a beek for life.  After all- I already spent a small fortune just getting started, might as well stay in it!   :-D  Hopefully someone will follow in my footsteps. Sure wish I would have had someone to show me the ropes from little on...Good thing I have this forum though :) It has sure been helpful. Thanks everyone!!!
Sleep is overrated!

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 04:58:34 am »
First...and my family thinks I'm nuts..
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Buzzen

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 12:44:49 pm »
Lots of good stories!  I like to hear how people got into it. I remember one time when i wa pretty young, i watched a guy getting a swarm off a tree limb.  He scooped the bees up in a coffee cup and put them in a box. I thought he was nuts, although i was pretty close while watching.  Sure peaked my interest.  Now 30 years later here I am looking to get bees!

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 01:34:07 pm »
First for me as best I can figure, although I have a cousin in Ohio that keeps bees.  My wife's grandmother had a hive when she was a little girl.

David

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 01:36:19 pm »
First generation here, too.

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 02:36:13 pm »
First :) -- Got intrigued reading "Keeper of the Bees".

Are you kidding me?? I read that book when I was in the 7th grade and have been moving, inexorably, toward beekeeping ever since! How cool! Remember how the soldier first noticed her "sensible shoes"?
It is what it is.......except when it isn't.

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 07:05:25 pm »
First generation here, with this caveat . . . I never see anyone here from San Diego County, but if there are any, they might rember my Uncle's honey business:  Baker's Quality Honey    I grew up across the street from my Uncle Dawrin.  In the 50's, I used to go with him in the metro van (looked like a UPS truck) to deliver honey to the Piggly Wiggly (sp) and Safeway stores.  He did it all in house . . . 1200 hives in prime locations for orange and black button sage, before they were all swallowed up by buildings.  Loved to go with him to the SoCal Expo in Del Mar to set up his exibit.  It was all a great memory.  It was always in my blood.  I ran a 500 hive outfit that was a welfare commodity farm for my church before I left San Diego for the Rocky Mountains.  The other welfare project in San Diego was a tuna cannery.  I got the better end of THAT stick!
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 07:34:34 pm »
First.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 07:39:11 pm »
First generation beekeeper. In my family I get lots of support for keeping bees. I suspect it's because it keeps me out of the house and out of trouble. 3 years from now I'll be retired, raising sheep, keeping bees and working a nice size garden. With a little luck, I'll also be spoiling grandchildren.  I might even take a nap in the afternoon, if it gets too hot.   It's nice to have dreams.  8-)
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 10:02:42 pm »

Good thing for you that your Daddy's girl!

...JP

Yeah, it's probably the only reason I am alive today. :-D

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 10:58:28 pm »
I guess I could say 1st generation, don't know of anybody else in my family anywhere to keep bees. It's in my blood, love to catch swarms the most, and look at new drawn comb full of pretty honey and capped off with pure white wax. Bees just intrigue me at how smart they are if you really think about it.

I just can't get over how many women keep bees, I think that is great. Would like to see more kids get into it.

Neighbor down the road gave me five hives when I was about eight and been fooling with them on and off ever since.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline deadsnowmen

• New Bee
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 11:25:07 pm »
1st,,my wife's grandfather's father kept bees when he was a kid,I put them on his land,,since he is a farmer he loves the idea of them being around.

Offline gguidester

• New Bee
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 11:45:56 pm »
First for me.  I became interested 30 years ago in Arizona when a swarm took up residence in a fence post.  I could have sprayed them , but instead decided maybe someone could use them.  Opened the phone book yellow pages, Called the first guy on the list.   He came over that evening and elected me to help him get them in a box.  I thought he was nuts!  Gloves but no veil , and he wanted me to hold the box real close.  He did smoke them a bit, then just scooped them out of the cavity like potato salad.  Never forgot how exciting it was.  I captured my first swarm Sat. and I sure felt it again.  I'm hooked! :)

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 12:34:06 am »
First generation here.  My son took the beekeeping class with me and particpates in maintaining the hives, so I guess we got 2 generations in one swoop.