Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Top Entrance  (Read 3081 times)

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Hive Top Entrance
« on: February 21, 2008, 05:22:13 pm »
As soon as weather permits, I'd like to make the switch from bottom entrance to Top for all 9 hives. Shall I add a slight overhang to keep the precip out and keep the hive slightly tilted forward  :? I keep looking at a set up I have in my porch, it just seems the rain will likely get in with a hive top entrance.  :-\

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Re: Hive Top Entrance
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:54:07 pm »
I think that Brian, or JP, (I can't remember) had the best idea for top entrances. Just use slanted bottom boards and invert them. It will give a little over hang and works well. I have taken all mine and inverted them.. Looks cool too! Gives your hives that nice porch feel.....
Frantz
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Hive Top Entrance
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 10:14:44 pm »
I think that Brian, or JP, (I can't remember) had the best idea for top entrances. Just use slanted bottom boards and invert them. It will give a little over hang and works well. I have taken all mine and inverted them.. Looks cool too! Gives your hives that nice porch feel.....
Frantz

Actually, what I said was, just take your old solid bottom boards and turn them over.  I have gone to using slatted racks with screens tacked to the bottom for my bottom boards.  If you have reversable bottom boards ( as some of mine were) just put a strip of wood across the upper side, caulk, paint, add a few sticks or rocks (bricks work too) and you have a roof top cistern for watering your bees.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything