Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pro uncapping bench  (Read 4337 times)

Offline mdbee

• House Bee
Pro uncapping bench
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:52:34 am »
Has anyone purchased a Pro uncapping bench from Blue Sky and are they good to deal with, what kind do you use?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Pro uncapping bench
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:39:24 am »
Has anyone purchased a Pro uncapping bench from Blue Sky and are they good to deal with, what kind do you use?
How many hives do you have?
I have 12 hives on average and I just use a large plastic bin from Walmart that I added 2 pieces of 2 x 2" strips with 2 screws in each board that are screwed all the way through and stick up about one inch. They are placed so that they are in the 4 corners of the frame to hold it in place. The bottom side is notched to fit snugly to the top ridge of the plastic bin. It works real well and is rather inexpensive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 12:09:13 pm »
Pics?
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline ScituateMA

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:04:34 pm »
Derailed pictures,  pls

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:37:35 pm »
Here's what I use now with an electric knife.     http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Multi-Use-Straining-System/productinfo/295/   

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 05:36:40 pm »
Derailed pictures,  pls
As soon as I get back home I will try to remember to add some pictures. I put a gate valve on the plastic bin already. I do plan on adding a screen raised up above the bottom to allow the honey to drain through.
The plastic bin costs about $10-15 and the gate is $15, the #8 screen is about $2 wood might be a couple of bucks.
One of the nice things about the plastic bin is that it comes with a lid that locks so that you can let it drain without any bugs or bees getting into it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline nella

• House Bee

Offline mdbee

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 10:51:03 am »
I have over 30 hives, 17 are full and the rest are starters from this year, some of them will make a super before winter. Nella posted a picture of the bench.

Offline mdbee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 11:00:31 am »
Sawdstmaker can you send a picture? I'm looking at the one at blue sky beekeeping supply because its within driving distance.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 06:24:43 pm »
I sent the picture to beemaster Administrator to requesting he post it. I have had 3 photo sites set up and used for posting here and none of them work.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline mdbee

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 12:44:10 pm »
I guess the beemaster didn't get your photo, thanks anyway! I have to buy or make something soon, I have too many supers that I will be taking off.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 03:27:43 pm »
I guess the beemaster didn't get your photo, thanks anyway! I have to buy or make something soon, I have too many supers that I will be taking off.

PM me your email address and I will send it to you directly.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline mdbee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 04:50:36 pm »
Jim, sent PM and also got the plastic bin, how do you plan on holding the screen?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 12:40:25 pm »
Jim, sent PM and also got the plastic bin, how do you plan on holding the screen?

Good question. I have not figured that out yet.
I will probably make a wooded frame to fit tightly in the bin and add the screen to it. I might make a bunch of metal stand offs and attach them to the screen to hold them in the proper places. They will have to be sturdy because when that bin is full of wax and honey it gets real heavy. I will use #8 wire cloth as the screen.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline johng

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 04:42:33 pm »
I have one like that from Mann Lake, its probably made by the same company. It looks identical even the lid and frame holder look the same. I really like mine it gives you room to put frames as you uncap them. It will hold about 18 frames and you still have room to uncap more on the other end. I did not like the frame holder though, I use a piece of wood across the tank with a nail in the middle to hold the frames when I'm uncapping. It is made from a thinner gauge metal than one from Maxant or Dadant but, it is sufficient for an uncapping tank. 

anything