Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: getting rid of XP  (Read 15707 times)

Offline sean

• Field Bee
Re: getting rid of XP
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2007, 11:43:09 pm »
Can anyone tell me how to delete xp from my computer. My computer has 2 hard-drives. The original one that came with it and one that i installed. The original hard-drive has 2 versions of xp(had xp professional 1st and had some problems and installed xp media version) so i ended up with the 2 versions(don't know how to delete professional without losing my files. Then the hard drive i installed has xp on it but i cannot delete the folder 

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 11:20:20 pm »
G'nite guys, what would happen if i format drive F: would it erase the windows folder on that drive, and would it affect the pc in any way?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 12:08:53 am »
If the operating system in on c: than format f: will not affect the operating system. However you need to be very sure before you type format anything.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 09:15:41 am »
Yes. The operating system is on C: f: is the drive i got from another computer and installed myself. However my original question remains. Drive c: has two versions of xp and i need to remove one. How do i do that?

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 08:32:09 pm »
Assuming that each OS is truly in it's own folder, then you just delete the one not in use.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 09:13:55 am »
I have tried deletingthe folder on the f: drive but it wont delete neither can i format the drive

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 11:45:25 pm »
Start
Run
Type in
command
You will now see a dos prompt.
type in
format f:
or
format f: \U

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 09:51:39 am »
Start
Run
Type in
command
You will now see a dos prompt.
type in
format f:
or
format f: \U

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Thanks brendan. Tried it and got this message

"Format cannot run because this volume is in use by another process. Format may be run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPEN HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount onthis volume? Y/N"

Needless to say i am lost. To the best of my knowledge F: is not my main drive, don't understand the rest of it

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 09:48:43 pm »
Open file explorer..
Then tools
folder options
view tab
click 'show hidden files and folder'
uncheck 'hide protected operating system files'

Then look at the F: drive.. any files or folder?

Goto the C drive.. you will see a file called boot.ini
paste it here..

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 09:35:22 am »
"Format cannot run because this volume is in use by another process. Format may be run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPEN HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? Y/N"

ok couple of questions.
1) what is this dismount comment
2) what can i do before i try to format in case it screws up the computer
3) what are handles and why will they be invalid.
4) who do i see what process is running so that i can stop it

In short what is the message saying

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2007, 11:14:54 pm »
Ok. got the drive (f) formated and all seems to be well with. i have 2 versions of windows on the c drive. xp professional which was loaded on originally and xp media center edition which i put on when the computer went haywire one day. media center went into a folder named "window" because i didn't wantto overwrite the "windows" folder. I have now copied the files from my documents to the f drive. how do i delete the "windows" folder(if i can) oh, when i boot up i get the option for xp professional or media center edition. 

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2007, 10:33:42 am »
Ugh, I can't stand "ME".  It has such horrible limitations on the amount of memory allocated for windows and icons.  If you're getting rid of XP, I'd sooner go to a distribution of Linux or a BSD than Windows but, that's just my personal preference.

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 05:14:59 pm »
Buy a mac

You'll never bee happier

peter

Offline Bizzybee

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 11:18:38 am »
Shazzam,

ME was Windows running on DOS, Remember? XP comes from 2000 which came from NT4 blah blah blah......... NT's code writers came from the Digital Equipment Corporations employees. VMS once owed by DEC sold to Compaq and then HP who now owns the rights. VMS is very much like Unix in many ways, but the bottom line is that it isn't DOS. There should be no comparison between ME and XP, they are not in the same game.

If you want to try Linux, there are some great distro's out there!!! But if you're not very savvy with how a PC works, then I would suggest you try one of the lessor command line driven versions. And go for a well developed GUI. SUSE is an awesome system as well as Fedora Core. Ubuntu is nice, or Kubuntu with the KDE Desktop which I prefer to Gnome. But that's just my preference. And all of it is free!!

And yes, it will allow you to have a dual boot to XP. Just keep in mind that you will have to replace the NTDLR (Master boot record is lost or overwritten by the Linux bootloader) should you decide to remove Linux later. Best thing to do is to have a second hard disk in the machine and plug it in whenever you want to run Linux, until you decide what you would like to do from there.

Good Luck!! :)

mac?? You get those at McDonalds don't you?? :)

Sorry Pete!! Couldn't resist!! :)

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2007, 12:13:18 pm »
N.P.    lol,

Us Apple polishers have heard it all,   lol    But when working w/a SUPERIOR OS it's all water off a bee's back    lol

I also run a pc w/xp pro as w/the websites I do. I was amazed at the difference how they display in one system over another and as the large majority of the herd run pc's w/IE6, I broke down and got one and is handy for the 'spawn' to use and keep off my mac    lol

cheers

peter

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2007, 03:43:08 pm »
I upgraded from  ME to XP.  I use MSN with Mozilla Firefox and have hotmail and yahoo mail and don't have much problems except for slow dial-up. Ran by google etc.and whatever and more.
doak

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 01:56:06 am »
Guys - get Ubuntu, OpenOffice, FireFox and Gmail or Yahoo! Mail account, and stop paying the tax (Microsoft Tax).

I bought Vista, used it for 5-6 months, and then put XP back on, only because I have to use it for work. Seriously - you'll thank me for it.

Have a great week everyone.

Regards,

UtahBees

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 12:55:20 am »
My experience is somewhat different than most, but then I am a graphic artist/web designer/ photographer, not an IT professional.  I started in the 90's with Win 3 and thought that was great.  Avoided Win95 at first due to many complaints and fixes.  Finally did upgrade to 95 in 1997 and liked it just fine.  Then to Win Me in 2002 and never had a problem with it.  Now running a new home LAN with two dual core Win XP pro machines that were custom built locally to avoid Vista and becoming what amounts to a beta tester for Bill Gates . . . . and having to replace all my software.  Love XP and I quite enjoy Outlook Express, which came with XP.  I am not clear on why original poster had trouble configuring Outlook Express. 

Have tried most of the web based eMail stuff out there and it seems to just be a personal pref.   JP
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 10:15:19 am »
Hey,

I have also tried just about every email program out there and my vote is (gasp) Entourage by microsoft :evil:. It came bundled w/the Office 2004 for mac. I don't think it comes w/Office 2004 for pc prob. because B.G. wants to rape y'all for more $$ but maybe wants to show off for mac users   lol

Regardless I think it is far superior to any other email prg. for ease of use and really cool useful features.

Perhaps Open Office will do a like email prg. like they did the office suite (Office 2004 free clone)

cheers

p

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 10:01:15 pm »
There already is a great freeware e-mail program, Thunderbird.  I don't think Open Office wants to reinvent the wheel - I wouldn't be surprised if someday you see some integration between the two programs.