Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc Hives Transfer  (Read 5738 times)

Offline Andersen

• Brood
Nuc Hives Transfer
« on: April 11, 2005, 04:21:54 pm »
Can anyone give me the rundown on the best way to transfer the nuc box to the hive? Should I smoke them or give them a misting of sugar water before the transfer? Thanks Robert

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Nuc Hives Transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 04:31:28 pm »
I have not done nucs. And I don't do smoke. If the frames are the right size to go into the hive just transfer the frames from nuc to hive. Then let the bees find their way to the new home. They will all be there by sun down.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Nuc Hives Transfer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 04:58:13 pm »
Make shure you place the frames of the nuc in the center of the hive though, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Nuc Hives Transfer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 06:26:13 pm »
I installed two nucs last year. Didn't bother with smoke. I just opened them and moved the frames into the hives.
Lesli

Offline jathomas

• New Bee
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/jathomas
Nuc Hives Transfer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 08:31:36 am »
I'm assuming that the hive is empty of bees?  It sounds like you're just starting a hive from a nuc, in which case, just putting them in the hive is sufficient.  

If you were building up an existing colony, you'd want to separate the new bees from the established colony with newspaper, and let them get used to their scents while they chewed their way to each other.  I have also heard stories of people who mixed bees after only spraying liberally with sugar water.

Anonymous

Nuc Hives Transfer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 08:44:09 am »
I have had good luck just spraying the bees with vanallia when mixing colonies if one goes queen less.
I also would spray them with sugar water when moving a nuc to a empty hive body. Although smoking with sumac is being used as a mite control too.
 :D Al

Offline reanalyst

• Brood
Nuc Hives Transfer
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 11:36:04 am »
I'm a beginning beekeeper.  I'll be picking up a nuc to start my first hive tomorrow evening.  When should I transfer the nuc to the hive?  Should I let the nuc rest overnight and do the transfer the next afternoon/evening?  thanks

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
Nuc Hives Transfer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 12:24:21 pm »
I can answer this from my experience.

Last month, I went to California and got 2 nukes late in the afternoon, ie 6 pm and transfered  3 frames each of brood and a queen with bees taking care of the brood. We then taped the entrances to the hives and I transported them to my home in Oregon, 6 hours away.

And like you, I am a begining beekeeper...a hobbiest actually.

Offline reanalyst

• Brood
Nuc Hives Transfer
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 03:27:12 pm »
Thanks AdmiralD, but that's not the way I'm doing it.  I'm bringing the nuc boxes back to my house, not taking my hives to the source to put frames in.

What I want to know is should I let the bees rest overnight, giving them 24 hours before I transfer the frames to the hive?

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
Nuc Hives Transfer
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 07:21:18 pm »
Quote from: reanalyst

What I want to know is should I let the bees rest overnight, giving them 24 hours before I transfer the frames to the hive?

I am no expert here, but I don't think that it makes much difference when you transfer them, as long as you transfer them soon into thier own home. Those nuc boxes can get pretty crowded with bees if the conditions are right ideal  and you just happen to be a bit on the extreme  lazy [said with tongue firmly planted in my cheek] side.  :)  [thinking on a time line of a few weeks instead of 24 hours]  :wink:  I would probably transfer them in the late evening, and set the nuc on top of the hive, and then next morning, bright and early, remove it from the area.

Now, that's what a beginner would do...If someone with more experience has a better idea, please speak up. I am all ears... :wink:

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Nuc Hives Transfer
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 11:06:05 am »
I had to merge hives last year due to poor population and a queen that lost her game. I got a nuc about 45 min from me and transfered the frames almost as soon as I got home, no prob. I feel, why agitate them twice? They are agitated from the ride then they calm down and you get them going again the next day. I smoked them and put them frames in dumped what was left in the nuc on top and left the nuc box next to the hive for straglers to find their new home. It worked well for me. And I typically wear no protective gear, shorts, T-shirt and sneakers. I have started wearing a veil, I have long hair and a beard which they get tangled in.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

anything