Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tractor  (Read 15248 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Tractor
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 11:04:18 pm »
  Merry Christmas  All ! ,

I've got a 1953 Allis Chalmers WD45 w/ front end loader .  We call her Old Reliable , and she lives up to the name .  I use her for logging and snow removal mostly , but sure is handy for moving things like say a refridgerator . Got her for $2500  3 years ago .  Things back then were built to be repaired by simple common folk like me .  So what there isn't power steering , it's good exercise I figure .         ---Burl---

Mine has power steering, it takes all the power I've got to steer it. 

just go buy you a tractor and park it in your yard.

Whats the point if you can't drive it around and tear stuff up?

Tear it up, build it up, move the manure around....the nice thing about having a bucket is that I can use it both to pull and plant posts.  The trick about planting the posts is finding someone brave (stupid?) enough to stand in front of the tractor while you drop a weighted bucket on the post to drive it into the ground.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 10:30:35 pm »
I grew up using John Deeres and have owned many of their models from 'A's to '4440's. I tried different tractors but never found any that were as operator friendly and with as intuitive controls as the latest Deeres.  They are all better than hand work and more fun too. Those small Fords are probably the most popular tractor ever made and very versatile. Wonder if they ever did a country song about the small Fords?

The only complaint I have heard consistently about the "gentleman's tractor" as they are called in some areas is they are a little light duty on the front axle especially with a loader attached. As for the steering there is a company that makes a nice add on power steering unit that may work on the 9Ns.

Bruce
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 09:46:04 pm »
Way back when, we cut some small timber on a river swamp. Just topped the trees and pulled them up to the field, two at the time. Logging tong's direct to the draw bar. Each trip out to the field it was brake steering all the way. Front wheels about 12 to 18 inches off the ground.  :shock:Brake job on the week end. no time off for six weeks. :roll: Ash timber for True Temper Handle factory.  :)doak

P.S.
It's c-o-l-d.

Offline LSBees

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 03:17:24 pm »
Does anyone know where I can pick up a good ol tracker in Northen Nevada?

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 08:52:18 pm »
This is my 1952 8n

and my new Kubota

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 03:35:32 am »
See now all this tractor talk and nobody says anything about Belarus?  Mine is a 1988 420 AN with 57 HP at times i wish it wasn't 4 wheel drive.  The only problems i've had out of it is the fuel tank rusts inside if not kept full of fuel and being 4 wheel drive isn't exactly your first choice for putting up hay with it's huge turning radious.  I have a New Holland sickle bar mowing machine, a pig pole (a must with any tractor),  brust hog, scrapper blade, loader bucket with forks, disc, and a Long backhoe (which is handy as shirt pockets).
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline dennis a

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 12:44:38 pm »
1974 David Brown diesel. The 6' snow blower has come in handy this year in Iowa.
Dennis
Dennis

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 01:15:55 pm »
You know there is just nothing like being on a fram with an old tractor or 4.  The newest tractor on the farm is actually my John Deere skid steer.  2004.  Boy let me tell you I wish I had an old skid steer at times.  John Deere decided to use soleniods to lock out hydraulic valves and what not.  Talk about frustrating when you go to use your tractor and one day it just doesnt move cause of a soleniod crapped out.  Nothing like pre computer operated tractors.  These new tractors will NOT be around in 60 or 70 years for folks to keep using.  They just simply will not support the electronics on the tractors rendering them into 100K boat anchors.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 02:56:56 pm »
You can show it, sit on it and smile!  :-D  I live 4 1/2 hours from the farm I grew up on,.. We stopped milking in 1978.  I recently purchased a chunk of it from my Aunt J. 27 acres and have been playing with it.   It is  extremely frustrating to be so far from the land,... and how does one justify the purchase of expensive equipment?   B.Y.W.  look into the Kioti tractor, they are where kuobta  was 15 years ago as far as breaking int o the US market.  I believe they are the better deal,..

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 03:12:22 pm »
Every man needs (in addition to a GOOD wife), a truck, a tractor and a workshop. I had an old small Kubota L175 and later sold it a bought a Yanmar 1610. They both worked well for me.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 11:33:44 pm »
I have found that working with hardpan that has been rained on is not advisable, at least as long as it's wet.  I've managed to muck things up enough that I'm soon skidding along like a bobsled due to the clay choked wheels, a wet clay is as slick as sn**t, and before you know it I've slid of into trouble.  Right now I have it high centered on edge of the new driveway I'm building with a fence post exactly half way between the front and rear wheels.  From certain angles it looks like I drove the fence post through the tractor.  I'm going to have to tear down and rebuild some fence to get the tractor out. 

I found a brand new John Deere rototiller attachment, I made an offer and I'm suppose to get a call back tomorrow it it's a deal.   I'm already fortifying myself for the Boys And Their Toys expletives I'm going to here from the better half when I bring it home.  The things been up for sale for 2 years so I'm hoping my bid though less than new price is accepted.  It's the only bid submitted so far.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 04:45:11 pm »
Right now I have it high centered on edge of the new driveway I'm building with a fence post exactly half way between the front and rear wheels.  From certain angles it looks like I drove the fence post through the tractor.

That is awesome!  do you have a picture?
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 04:06:39 am »
May have bragged on the ol' Belarus too dang early took me two days to get the desiel pump on the thing primed man what a job.  Thank goodness that's all it was i was dreading calling a mechanic up to look at it.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

anything