Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from Costa Rica  (Read 3079 times)

Offline gomez

• New Bee
Hi from Costa Rica
« on: April 13, 2008, 04:04:37 pm »
Hola to everyone.
I just inherited 10 bee hives. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? I don't have any experience with bees other than watching my dad handle his hives when I was a kid. The only information I have read so far is "Beekeeping for Dummies", are there better sources out there? I have an option of receiving 3 hives first, so I can get the hang of caring for them, then bring in the rest little by little, or taking on all 10 hives at once. What do you suggest?

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
Re: Hi from Costa Rica
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 04:21:13 pm »
Hey gomez, welcome to the forums.

I have beekeeping for dummies and have read it a few times.  It's nice for starters (such as myself) because it explains everything in simple English so you can understand it.  I know there are better reference books out there, but beekeeping for dummies does a good job overviewing the different things that go on in a hive.  I read through the whole book a few times before I got bees and it really helped me with my understanding.
calebgo.com - My website

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 04:58:55 pm »
That book did it for me, although I do most things different from him now. You can ask any questions here on this forum and learn all you need.

Also read Michael Bush Web site http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm and you will learn a lot.

Good Luck
Annette

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 11:35:55 pm »
You may try to contact Tropic to see if he is close or could help mentor. I would take them all on at once.
Here is a link to Tropic's profile.  http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?action=profile;u=3958

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:00:21 am »
Goemez.  Welcome to our forum, you are going to be needing lots of help with questions with your new undertaking.  Dallas says to take on all 10, he is a gutsy person, hee, hee.  I personally would only take on about 3, but then it depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go.  It is nice that you have inherited these colonies, you are going to love looking after bees.  Let us at this forum be your leaning post, you can ask any question here, you will get prompt answers and this will be important sometimes.  Enjoy your stay with us, tell us of your experiences when you get time, and have a most wonderful and great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline gary.mo

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 12:54:41 am »
(Goemez)...you would be glad you found this site. book mark it now. i know i am and i did. a lot of good advice and good people that truly want to help. i haven't read the book Bee Keeping For Dummies but do like ABC&XYZ of bee culture and many more. But it does not seem the same as these people that you read their post tonight will be checking their bees tomorrow. i would agree take only three hives set them apart from each other this way you only work one hive with out disturbing the other two. use protective gear until you  become comfortable with the ladies. take it easy enjoy them this is what i have found about them . they keep my blood pressure down and are truly ______ see i can't even find the right word that describes the joy. as always GW and pooh

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 01:00:44 am »
GW, you will one day find that word, hee, hee.  Have the best of a beautiful life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline gomez

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 03:06:44 pm »
Thanks for your input and advise. I should have delivery of my bees in a couple of days, all 10 hives I hope. I will keep you posted as to how it goes.

Gomez

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 05:23:34 pm »
Hola Gómez! Or Goemez as you have just been re-baptized in this forum.
Buena suerte en el apasionante mundo de las abejas. Cuidado con las africanas y manda alguna fotito de tu flora tropical.

(Trans: Good chance in the apassionate bee world. Be care with the africanized bees and send photos from the tropical forest  ;)

No dudes en utilizar nitrato amónico para dormir a las abejas agresivas.

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 11:09:55 am »
Welcome from further north. I think you will do just fine with all 10 hives. You will have so much fun this year and a lot honey to enjoy and share with your family and friends. Have a great season.

DennisB

Offline gomez

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 07:35:02 pm »
My hives (five so far) finally arrived last Friday. These are established hives moved to my property from elsewhere. I thought I would give the bees a day or two to get settled….but today was the day of my initiation, I suited up and had my first inspection. It was quite exhilarating but left me in a quandary. I checked two hives (my smoker died after that, but tomorrow is another day) and was very confused as to what I found. First of all the two hives only contained seven frames each, not ten, in the first hive two frames were empty foundations and the balance were literally glued together with an abundance of swollen capped cells. I looked for eggs but did not see any under the brood of milling buzzing girls. I did see some cells with a dark reddish liquid. Could that have been pollen? Since I did not have the correct tools to separate the frames and continue my inspection ( I really need to go shopping) I put the hive back to together and moved on to the next one. What I found there was much the same scenario.

I am going to visit them again tomorrow, and bring a camera. What should I have done that I did not do? Is what I saw normal?  It sure didn’t look like what the books say you should see. All the help I can get would be much appreciated.

Gomez