Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: laying worker  (Read 3745 times)

Offline mark

• House Bee
laying worker
« on: May 28, 2005, 02:27:14 pm »
has anyone actually seen a laying worker?  
  would she take on the appearance of a queen, darker thorax and lighter colored abdomen as in the italians.  or do i just have a dwarf queen?

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
laying worker
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 02:45:07 pm »
I've never seen one.  I could imagine a laying worker might swell some in the abdomen, but that is just a guess.  I went through my colonies the other day, and there is so much size variation between workers, I think it would near impossible to pick out a laying worker.

Offline mark

• House Bee
laying worker
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 03:09:26 pm »
i would agree...in a full size colony but i'm looking at a nuc and this "queen" is the smallest i've ever seen and i've seen enough virgin queens.   have raised them in nucs and observation hives.  was lucky enough to see one just returning from her mating flight into my obs. hive.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
laying worker
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 05:10:21 pm »
>has anyone actually seen a laying worker?

I have.  I have caught them in a two frame medium depth nuc that went laying worker on me.  I watched until I caught one laying.

>would she take on the appearance of a queen

Not at all.

> darker thorax and lighter colored abdomen as in the italians.

No.

> or do i just have a dwarf queen?

If she looks like a queen, she probably is.  The only "distinguishing" thing about the laying worker that would make her stand out from a typical woker is that she was laying.  She was one of the bigger workers,  but she wasn't the only bigger worker.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mark

• House Bee
laying worker
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 08:00:37 pm »
thanks,  that's what i needed to know.  she sure is little though.....bet she'd be perfect for regressing to small cell. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
laying worker
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 04:11:40 pm »
She may have just started to lay and may fatten up a lot in the next few weeks.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin