Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Waxing the Top Bars  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Daddys Girl

• House Bee
Waxing the Top Bars
« on: May 08, 2008, 12:47:12 pm »
I have my top bars grooved and ready to go.  I made a wax melter tool for running the wax into the grooves, but I get drips and bits running out of the groove that has to be scraped off.

My questions are:

How much wax is enough?  A neat bead isn't always possible.
Can you just rub hardened wax into the grooves?
If you get drips on the bar, can you just scrape them off and trust the bees to not make a big mess?

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
Re: Waxing the Top Bars
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 03:14:48 pm »
Why are you waxing them?
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:56:04 pm »
I glued a Popsicles stick in the groove in the middle of the bar and rubbed a little wax on it. Some folks don't do anything.
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:26:40 pm »
I use melted wax to wax in the starter strips to help the bees get going.  Wax itself seems purposeless just poured into the groove unless it is being used to hold something to help guide the bees in their comb making - like a popsicle stick or a starter strip.  But maybe I don't understand your point??

Linda T somewhat confused in Atlanta

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:16:57 am »
I have my top bars grooved and ready to go.  I made a wax melter tool for running the wax into the grooves, but I get drips and bits running out of the groove that has to be scraped off.

lol, I just did that a month ago.  I figured it would work.  Unfortunately it confuses the bees, and they are building terrible comb.

I switched to the popsicle trick.

Offline desmondmegan

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:50:53 pm »
i started a tbh with Popsicle sticks and the first couple of frames where off but once i fixed the comb they have taken off and are doing very well.. 

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 09:44:42 am »
I built a Tanzanian TBH built to medium Lang width. I then bought nucs instead of packages and have been using the built out frames to force straight comb on the bars. I'll remove the frames later if I want.
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline Daddys Girl

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 08:07:56 pm »
Installed the package in the TBH on Saturday, and I got a look in through the observation window today to see them drawing nice, straight white comb from the popsicle sticks. :)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 11:12:15 pm »
Just a bead of wax is a pretty risky comb guide.  They can easily ignore it.  The most reliable is the triangular comb guide.  Next is the wood strip (or popscicle sticks).  Next is a strip of wax foundation. I use the triangles and never wax them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Skepticus

• New Bee
  • Use honey and beeswax, for sweetness and light.
    • An Australian Apiarists Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 02:27:46 pm »
Hi. Just a thought, but could you tap a couple of nails into the top bar (without hammering them through), just in from the ends (heads facing down), then string a piece of wire across between them. Then slip the strip of foundation into the groove so it rests against the wire, then apply an electric current for a second, just like embedding foundation in conventional frames? Wouldn't that hold it in place until the bees build their comb?

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 03:32:23 pm »
To me that sounds like more trouble than using the wax tube fastener to put starter strips into the groove.....

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 10:32:26 pm »
>Then slip the strip of foundation into the groove so it rests against the wire, then apply an electric current for a second, just like embedding foundation in conventional frames? Wouldn't that hold it in place until the bees build their comb?

Seems like it's easier to just wax the strip into the groove.  But then it's even easier to just cut a wooden strip and glue it in the groove and it will last even better in the long run.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 11:58:59 pm »
Michael,

I don't find that the frames I put in with popsicle sticks are appealing much to the bees.  They appear to ignore them.  How far out should the popsicle sticks stick?  The ones I put in are only out about 1/4 inch. 

My bees appear to like the starter strips better - but I know there are idiosyncrasies and maybe my Georgia deck bees think that popsicle sticks belong in something really cold - not 94 degrees?

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 12:10:14 pm »
    I use starter strips cut from one sheet of small cell foundation and that is enough for ten frames.  I count five cells deep and cut the strips then with the pan I pour in the melted wax.  Sometimes I overfill and some gets on the newspaper, but I have two to three cells showing and they seem to jump right on it.  If I get tight enough with money I may just cut across the short side of the foundation to get more frames.  Won't go all the way across but should, hopefully, work the same as a triangle. 

My neighbor is going to make me a wax tool.  Looking forward to trying it. 
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

anything