Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: arrangement of bars in tbh  (Read 3567 times)

Offline whiteflyer

• New Bee
arrangement of bars in tbh
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:33:07 pm »
 I built a ktbh from Mr Bush's plans. Getting ready to in stall package wed. 16  1 1/4  18 1 1/2. How would you arrange bars? what order? WM

Offline irerob

• House Bee
Re: arrangement of bars in tbh
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 01:21:55 am »
The larger bars  generally to give the bees more room for honey. where they go will depend on where your entrance is.
   On the ends if it's a middle entrance and on the opposite side of the entrance side if its on the end. The bees will want to build brood near the entrance.
 At least this is how I understand it.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline beeslinger

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 01:03:38 pm »
 From what I have seen (or been told) the queen will stay closer to the entrance. It would depend on how the entrance is orientated to the frames. put a few of the small ones together by the entrance and see what happens. If they put honey in one it will be okay.. just can't put as much honet as they may like to..... Just keep an eye on them.....

Offline beeslinger

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 01:40:49 pm »
 Some thought on this and I have to get my number of posts up somehow:
   In a Lang hive the bees keep 4-5 frames of brood in the center with honey frames on the outside (possibly for insulation). Try 1-2 honey 2 brood and 1-2 honey for now then watch and move bars later if they get honeybound. I set up my TBH with entrances at the ends and sides so I can use either. I just put a split in mine and set it up like a nuc box...... will see if that works............

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 07:58:02 pm »
I'd put the 1 1/4" at the front and the 1 1/2" at the back.  Pull the first few 1 1/4" out and install the package there and then put them back in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline whiteflyer

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:26:32 pm »
thanks for the help. I'll post how they progress. wm

anything