Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mold or fungus growing on built out hive wax  (Read 2641 times)

Offline BeeJack

• New Bee
mold or fungus growing on built out hive wax
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:04:33 am »
   I have been involved with bees for 2 year now and have about 70 hives. Now I'm having a significant problem with SHB.
I have built out wax frames that were removed from hives that collapsed from SHB. Most were put into the freezer or refrig but some were not. Some grew a mold or nasty fungus on the wax and or wood frame. Some grew white fungus. Can this be washed out or is it necessary to scrape the hive wax off the plasticell foundation, then wash it before its reused, or do I need to throw out that frame.
If washing is ok, is it necessary to used a disinfectant soap or diluted bleach? does any one have experience and knowledge of this problem.
  Thank you

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: mold or fungus growing on built out hive wax
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 06:01:24 pm »
i have washed things with bleach.  chlorine breaks down pretty quickly.  just shake the cells out and let it air dry.  you can also set your stuff out in the sun and the yuck will dry up.  put into a strong hive, the bees will clean it up and use it.  it won't hurt them as long as the hives were not diseased, and it sounds like yours were not.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 11:10:59 pm »
I just let the bees clean up the frames.  They do it the best. 

Offline BeeJack

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 12:03:32 am »
Good to know. I have heard that the bees will clean up the frames but was hesitant considering the devastation from the beetles and larvae.
 I will spray the worst with bleach then wash off with water and dry in the sun. Those beetles can shred a hive in a 1 1/2 weeks.
 Need to design a beetle trap that catches them before they enter.
 Thanks for your suggestions.